Next gen request for DS-TTL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a YS-110a and absolutely love it, but have an issue with a limitation of DS-TTL.

The cameras I use are a panasonic gf-2 and a canon s9 and both are more than a bit slow when using the built in flash. As a pre-amble, I have dived with the s9 on a live-a-board, and hope to use the gf2 this summer, so I only have limited experience compared to some/most.

The internal flash recycle limitations of the camera, in an optical ds-TTL setup, caused me to miss quite a few action shots. The internal flash on the s9.. slow doesn't cover it, especially as the battery gets a bit lower and combined with focus times and whatever internal lag is going on it can be extremely annoying. When it works, the pictures are fantastic, when it doesn't....

GF2 is much better on almost all counts but only moderately better in flash times. Unfortunately I am a bit worried about the flash portion because it cannot be adjusted lower (FEC) manually*.

How about a method to do a "multiplier" in the flash itself? So it detects the initial ttl burst coming from the camera and then pushes out a flash that is brighter than normal for TTL. I would think that this would be interpreted by the camera as a higher exposure and automatically put out a weaker flash for the actual picture. As long as the DS-TTL system was calibrated to understand this, it could then still put out a strong flash.

Maybe a 1-3 stop adjuster or switch? I don't even think it would need to be adjustable during a dive. Once set, it could be something that just "is" and part of the initial calibration a user goes through.

I admit, it could also be interpreted incorrectly and have the camera adjust aperture improperly if you set the shutter speed or visa versa rather than flash brightness. Someone more knowledgable than I would have to make a statement, but I think for the most part it might work and be a great simple feature.

What do you all think? In the works for the next ys-110 edition? :)

*Unfortunately not all cameras have a way to adjust the flash exposure (gf2) or they do but it doesn't have a huge effect (s9). I would love to take my pic to pic time down from 8+ seconds to the 2-3 that the ys-110a can actually do and catch that illusive "perfect shot".

HI tarjan-
Thanks for the feedback. We have sent your post and suggestions to the appropriate people in Japan for their review.

Too strong a pre-flash multiplier and your strobe will not be able to recharge fast enough for the next flash to go off. That is unless they have 2 sets of capacitor to discharge.

Back
Top Bottom