Next time a "laker" passes near by ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A lot of the OFWF's dive the St. Lawrence and sometimes you can hear the "lakers" passing through the shipping channels in the St. Lawrence. ( and we are not even close to them )

Here is an article from Cozumel where a cruise ship had a near miss with some divers.

Unbelievable ... It happened a few days ago ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CRUISE SHIP DAMAGES REEFS AND ALMOST RUNS DOWN A DIVE PARTY
by Novedades de Q. Roo

According to the report filed by the dive operation, Aqua Safari with Cozumel's National Marine Park office, on Thursday 17 at 15:30 hours the Carnival cruiseship Inspiration passed within a meter and a half (60") of a group of 12 divers who were exploring the bottom of reef Paraíso at the time.

According to the reports of dive masters with Aqua Safari, the force of the propellers raised sediment so that it was impossible to see the palm of your hand. This situation produced panic among the divers who scattered away this way and that fearing for their lives and at the same time taking a risk of being sucked up into the enormous propellers.

After the report, the administration of the park acted immediately and notified the Harbor Master's Office and Profepa to be sure that the cruiseship did not leave the port without recognizing the incident and agreeing to abide by the evaluation of damages and any actions that might later be taken.

In the meantime the Profepa requested the support of the PGR to commence a formal collection of fact to be presented before the Federal Attorney General's office. The formal inspection and subsequent complaint will evaluate damages and determine responsibility not only for risking the lives of the divers and their guides but also for crossing a forbidden area of the National Park, thereby causing grave damage.

The cruiseship Inspiration which was scheduled to leave a 21:00 was not allowed to get underway until midnight.

DI_Guy:
A lot of the OFWF's dive the St. Lawrence and sometimes you can hear the "lakers" passing through the shipping channels in the St. Lawrence. ( and we are not even close to them )

Here is an article from Cozumel where a cruise ship had a near miss with some divers.

Unbelievable ... It happened a few days ago ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CRUISE SHIP DAMAGES REEFS AND ALMOST RUNS DOWN A DIVE PARTY
by Novedades de Q. Roo

According to the report filed by the dive operation, Aqua Safari with Cozumel's National Marine Park office, on Thursday 17 at 15:30 hours the Carnival cruiseship Inspiration passed within a meter and a half (60") of a group of 12 divers who were exploring the bottom of reef Paraíso at the time.

According to the reports of dive masters with Aqua Safari, the force of the propellers raised sediment so that it was impossible to see the palm of your hand. This situation produced panic among the divers who scattered away this way and that fearing for their lives and at the same time taking a risk of being sucked up into the enormous propellers.

After the report, the administration of the park acted immediately and notified the Harbor Master's Office and Profepa to be sure that the cruiseship did not leave the port without recognizing the incident and agreeing to abide by the evaluation of damages and any actions that might later be taken.

In the meantime the Profepa requested the support of the PGR to commence a formal collection of fact to be presented before the Federal Attorney General's office. The formal inspection and subsequent complaint will evaluate damages and determine responsibility not only for risking the lives of the divers and their guides but also for crossing a forbidden area of the National Park, thereby causing grave damage.

The cruiseship Inspiration which was scheduled to leave a 21:00 was not allowed to get underway until midnight.
Wow. The almost ran over a few people, did all kinds of reef damage and they were only delayed for 3 hours.. I don't think anything will happen..

I had the Beaver Island Ferry pass directly over while diving in the Charlevoix channel, it was loud as heck. Same with the tug/barge rigs on the Mississippi, they're extremely loud.
The divers mentioned would've known something was amiss long before the cruise liner got there.
In US waters, a passenger carrying vessel has to be inspected if it contacts the bottom.

I've had several lake freighters pass above me (or near me) while diving in the St Clair River. Very loud, but the vibration caused by the sound creates a pretty neat sensation.

Bob3:
I had the Beaver Island Ferry pass directly over while diving in the Charlevoix channel, it was loud as heck. Same with the tug/barge rigs on the Mississippi, they're extremely loud.
The divers mentioned would've known something was amiss long before the cruise liner got there.
In US waters, a passenger carrying vessel has to be inspected if it contacts the bottom.

Hi Bob:

I found the report strange too because the divers would have heard it when it 1/2 mile away. I've seen the harbour in Cozumel and some cruise ships a lucky enough to dock at the wharf. Any "late arrivals" have to drop anchor away from the wharf and passengers are brought ashore by small boats. I wonder if the cruise ship in question has just left the anchored area and was making head way at a very slow speed and wandered off course into the marine park. The Carnival cruise ships have steerable engine pods, ( not conventional propellers at the stern ). They can turn on a dime. Still it's very strange that the ship came so close to them.

DI_Guy

So with them making contact with bottom should we be expecting to read in the papers in day or so about a liner going down.....????? How stupid can they be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom