Next weeks thunderstorms and boat dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shardison

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Christy, Dave, and all other Cozaholics or locals...

Can someone tell me, With the weather supposedly dropping some thunderstorms next week.... What are the chances the port might shut down diving or with the Thunderstorm moving through.... How often does it effect boats going out.

I'm a webfoot so rain doesn't bother me, but the other bothers everybody....

Thanks,

Exactly a 22.7% chance that the port might shut down.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 08:59 AM ----------

Oh wait, just got new data. Make that 22.3%. Sorry!

I wouldn't worry about it. They probably won't cancel any dives. If they do, it will be something determined the day of the dives, not before, so you can't do anything about it.

I have been there when a huge squall came up, really insane rain and thunderboomers (not over us, but we could hear them). We were already out on the first dive, came up in the storm, the boat moved towards the second dive... skies cleared up, and we went in for second dive. No mention ever of canceling the dives.
Twice I have been there when it rained cats and dogs, hard rain all morning... and boats still went out.

Christy, Dave, and all other Cozaholics or locals...

Can someone tell me, With the weather supposedly dropping some thunderstorms next week.... What are the chances the port might shut down diving or with the Thunderstorm moving through.... How often does it effect boats going out.

I'm a webfoot so rain doesn't bother me, but the other bothers everybody....

Thanks,

A. Next week is MUCH too far in the future to worry about OR to accurately predict
B. Stop looking at the weather - there's not a thing you can do about it
C. We are in the tropic, this is rainy season - therefore - it will almost certainly rain at some point, at some spot, for some period (may be brief/may be all day) while you are here. It could be a torrential downpour at your hotel, and perfectly dry and sunny in town
D. Thunderstorms typically do't last long, they blow through quickly most of the time
E. Thunderstorms rarely, rarely, rarely shut the port down - and it's not the thunderstorm that shuts the port down, it would be any accompanying SUSTAINED winds that are too strong from the wrong direction that would shut the port down

F. RELAX, enjoy your trip, go with the flow and don't worry about the stuff you can't control - I promise you will have a great trip no matter what the weather does if you do!

Agree w/ Christi, 100%. You can't control the weather, however you can control when you go to Cozumel. You can select a different time frame to avoid being there in the midst of the rainy season. We go (usually) in November and weather seems great.

The bottom line, you'll be in Cozumel - life is good! :wink:

A. Next week is MUCH too far in the future to worry about OR to accurately predict
C. We are in the tropic, this is rainy season - therefore - it will almost certainly rain at some point, at some spot, for some period (may be brief/may be all day) while you are here. It could be a torrential downpour at your hotel, and perfectly dry and sunny in town
D. Thunderstorms typically do't last long, they blow through quickly most of the time
E. Thunderstorms rarely, rarely, rarely shut the port down - and it's not the thunderstorm that shuts the port down, it would be any accompanying SUSTAINED winds that are too strong from the wrong direction that would shut the port down

F. RELAX, enjoy your trip, go with the flow and don't worry about the stuff you can't control - I promise you will have a great trip no matter what the weather does if you do!

Thanks Christi!! and Robin... :)

Christi, Your response has me ROFL! That is exactly what my wife has been saying for the last 2 weeks!! Which I have tried to do, but obviously have failed at. I do appreciate your words of advise, and it will help me to try to go with the flow from here on.

Cheers!!

Well………. since steel is a better conductor of electricity than aluminum, during a thunderstorm Aluminum could be 1 x 10 -27 th % safer and therefore steel tanks should be avoided.

Well………. since steel is a better conductor of electricity than aluminum, during a thunderstorm Aluminum could be 1 x 10 -27 th % safer and therefore steel tanks should be avoided.

Gary,
Are you saying avoid diving with those dive shops that
use those big steel tanks? :(

Frank

Points B and F are right on in my book!

Stuck in Cozumel during a closed port is definitely going to be better than being at work, or (shudder) mowing the grass. . .

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom