next years IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have read that the course is changing and that it will be announced in Dec? at DEMA? I will be completing my DM in Nov and want to take the AI, my shop I think already has the books in stock, will there be a way to upgrade them exchange them? is there going to be a signifficant difference? or just some page replacements? if I get the electronic version would there be any cost to update it? should I just wait till Jan to order the books?:confused: possibly if the books are slightly out of date my instructor will just teach out of them, will I then need to learn what the new requirements are? different test questions etc. If I then take the IDC next year will I be at a dissadvantage with the old system? ok Ill stop asking questions now, please answer. :idk:

Considering the $$$ of the instructor manual I would say wait. I don't know how much the actual course is going to change but they (PADI) is going streamline the manual. As it is now you need a forklift to haul it arround.

Do not get any of the IDC materials until you start the IDC..things change and you will be at a disadvantage if you have outdated materials.You most likely will not be allowed to use outdated materials and would have to purchase all over again.There will be no way to upgrade or exchange old materials.

I have read that the course is changing and that it will be announced in Dec? at DEMA? I will be completing my DM in Nov and want to take the AI, my shop I think already has the books in stock, will there be a way to upgrade them exchange them? is there going to be a signifficant difference? or just some page replacements? if I get the electronic version would there be any cost to update it? should I just wait till Jan to order the books?:confused: possibly if the books are slightly out of date my instructor will just teach out of them, will I then need to learn what the new requirements are? different test questions etc. If I then take the IDC next year will I be at a dissadvantage with the old system? ok Ill stop asking questions now, please answer. :idk:

Usually when the IDC is re-vamped there is a phase in period when CDs can elect to either use the current version, or the new version. So I would definitely talk it over with the IDCS or CD from whom you'll be taking your AI course to see what they plan on doing, especially since there is going to be a new versions of the Instructor Manual as well.

Unfortunately NONE of us will know exactly what that all entails until DEMA in November...

Bonne chance,

On the plus side, automatic renewal professionals will get a digital version of the new instructor's manual.

True, but that's been the norm for several years now...

Back
Top Bottom