• Regulator

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • HP splitter

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Camera

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That shop saw you coming. They knew you were getting back into diving and talked you into a very expensive computer when your Suunto would have been just fine for the dives you are going to be doing.
Shame on them. A regulator would have been a smarter buy. Nothing fancy, just a sealed diaphragm reg with an SPG that would have given you the peace of mind of knowing it was yours, and it worked.
Instead, they talked you into buying something that came with a $400 piece that you may not even be able to use.
That's just sickening, and why segments of the industry are seemingly doing everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot.
I'd be looking for a new LDS. This is certainly selling equipment to someone that is way over the top for what's needed.

Go with the SPG. AI / transmitters can come later if ever.
I like having a SPG, it's a great backup. But I think having AI is 100% worth it if you can. Having all the important data on your wrist (depth, NDL limits, air, compass, etc) makes it easier to not inadvertently mistake something.

You do run into all your eggs in one basket, but having backups creates some redundancy.

You can pickup a splitter cheap and a 6” HP hose (if your AI transmitter isn’t already on one) fairly inexpensively. Contact the op and see if they can install it for you on arrival.

If you are set on the camera, get the camera. You can keep your eyes on the classifieds section for the reg you want if you are truly set on that make/model. Although I can say that my 30+ year old Mk10/G250 breathes the same—if not better—than my new Mk25Evo/G260.

If you are not hard set on Scubapro regs you could save a bit on new with others that have been mentioned. I’ll also throw to contact Deep6 for excellent regs.

Finally, what part of NV are you in?

Get yourself two second stages and a first stage for $320. Excellent regs. Send them to Deep6 for service and they can put on hoses (or you can order your own from places like DGX) and an SPG. And if you are so inclined, you can take a class on servicing them and do the servicing yourself to save money down the road.

You can pickup a splitter cheap and a 6” HP hose (if your AI transmitter isn’t already on one) fairly inexpensively. Contact the op and see if they can install it for you on arrival.

If you are set on the camera, get the camera. You can keep your eyes on the classifieds section for the reg you want if you are truly set on that make/model. Although I can say that my 30+ year old Mk10/G250 breathes the same—if not better—than my new Mk25Evo/G260.

If you are not hard set on Scubapro regs you could save a bit on new with others that have been mentioned. I’ll also throw to contact Deep6 for excellent regs.

Finally, what part of NV are you in?

I'm very interested in a Scubapro primarily due to the availability of international service and parts. It wouldn't be outrageous for me to end up diving enough to some day end up requiring service outside the US (my job gives me lots of travel time and it wouldn't be impossible for me to spend three weeks diving outside the US).

I'm in Vegas.

Get yourself two second stages and a first stage for $320. Excellent regs. Send them to Deep6 for service and they can put on hoses (or you can order your own from places like DGX) and an SPG. And if you are so inclined, you can take a class on servicing them and do the servicing yourself to save money down the road.
That's a great deal. I might do that, wish I had seen it earlier today because I was in NYC this morning.

I likely will take a servicing class eventually so I could service my own gear in a pinch, instead of relying upon others. Especially if I find myself spending lots of time on liveaboards or in an isolated location.

I'm very interested in a Scubapro primarily due to the availability of international service and parts. It wouldn't be outrageous for me to end up diving enough to some day end up requiring service outside the US (my job gives me lots of travel time and it wouldn't be impossible for me to spend three weeks diving outside the US).

I'm in Vegas.

That's a great deal. I might do that, wish I had seen it earlier today because I was in NYC this morning.

I likely will take a servicing class eventually so I could service my own gear in a pinch, instead of relying upon others. Especially if I find myself spending lots of time on liveaboards or in an isolated location.

There’s also this listing for a couple of complete sets. You could get two complete sets of regs for the price of the SP 1st and 2nd.

As for getting something serviced while on a trip, it’s more likely you’ll just be grabbing a rental reg for the inmediate fix. If it’s something that requires a complete tear down, most reg techs could break down most any standard reg, provided there’s no requirement for special tools. On top of that just because you have whatever brand regulator means that a service kit is available and that the shop that has them isn’t on the other side of the island.

For Deep6 you can purchase a service kit and bring it with you. Or just get a spare 1st and 2nd and replace your hoses every 5 years if you are truly concerned.

That shop saw you coming. They knew you were getting back into diving and talked you into a very expensive computer when your Suunto would have been just fine for the dives you are going to be doing.
I had similar thoughts. Definitely doesn't seem like they were looking at anything other than $$$ with this recommendation.
The Garmin Mk2 is not a bad computer. Reliable and Buhlmann equipped. I have a Mk1 I've used as backup for about 5 years. I'm not fond of the proprietary transmitter, but that's just me. The Garmin is a lot better than an old Suunto.
Agreed. The Garmin is a great computer. I have an MK2s as a backup to my Perdix. The Perdix is AI, but the MK2s is not, but apart from that, I haven't really run into any diving limitations on it. It's a great computer, and a great every day watch as well. I'm also not a fan of the proprietary transmitter, but apart from that, they make great computers.

For a diver that is just really getting back into it, it's certainly an expensive choice, especially if they have other kit to purchase as well. If they were planning on purchasing a Garmin smartwatch anyway, then it's less of a hit, but as a standalone dive computer there aren't really any that are more expensive.

I would stay with your GoPro and let it run, keep an eye on your buddy and enjoy diving. Fussing with a camera can cause bad habits and take your attention from where it should be. I would likely get regulators before anything, and did. I want to be sure that I will be coming back to the surface. The regulators are your lifeline, find a good set that will last for your diving career. I have the S600 and G250s with Mk25 evo, so I can't see where you could go wrong with your choice. Don't buy a less expensive octo, stick with identical regs, less parts to maintain in the future. Enjoy your trip.

I like having a SPG, it's a great backup. But I think having AI is 100% worth it if you can. Having all the important data on your wrist (depth, NDL limits, air, compass, etc) makes it easier to not inadvertently mistake something.

You do run into all your eggs in one basket, but having backups creates some redundancy.
Agreed. I run an AI and the small-dial SPG is the one 'redundant' piece of gear I have on my rig; I put it on a short miflex hose and clip it below my inflator hose. I can quickly gaze down at my chest and confirm what my AI is claiming.

I've never dived with you, so only you can judge how 'good' you are with a camera. It has been my observation of others (and definitely myself!) that the introduction of a camera too early in a diver's training is inadvisable. But you already own the GoPro, so use it! When you can easily hover and hold horizontal on an object with breath control, very little fin movement, and no hand/arm motion, you're ready for more advanced photography.

Make sure you post some photos from your St. Maarten trip!

I would stay with your GoPro and let it run, keep an eye on your buddy and enjoy diving. Fussing with a camera can cause bad habits and take your attention from where it should be. I would likely get regulators before anything, and did.
This is sound advice. If the GoPro is working, run it, but try to do so in a way that does not occupy you.

I use a mask mount. My hands are full otherwise, and this works for me. I did have to train myself to slow down a bit, but that’s a good habit anyway. It is true that this can result in shakier video than other methods, but as long as you remember to slow down a bit, it can work.

Regardless of whichever method for video you use, you need to do some work in post production. No one wants to watch a 45-60 minute video of every moment of your dive. Trim it to some highlights if you want to share it and have people actually watch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom