Teric vs Perdix 2 vs Mk2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mflynn06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Please ignore perdix 2. Just Teric and Garmin.

As title states, I am in search of a dive computer that will last me a while. I am beginning my journey into the world of scuba but want to buy once, cry once somewhat.

I’m buying quality equipment second hand, open box and sometimes they are brand new or like new.

I’m looking at the Teric and Mk2i. I like the watch forms of the Teric and Garmin so I can just leave them on all day. I don’t need all the Garmin extras because I have my Apple Watch for that but they are nice. At the end of the day I want a dive computer not a daily watch to wear, that would just be a bonus. The burn in and battery issues of the Teric scared me. The transmitter issues of the Garmin worried me. The Garmin GPS feature is nice but haven’t seen if it has a compass. The only issue I wonder about is the size of the Perdix but I’d have to go try it on somewhere. What do you guys think? I’d love to hear feed back from people who have owned more than one of these. This is a large purchase so don’t want to regret it.

I went through deciding on the Perdix 2 and Teric recently (in this thread) and finally decided on the Perdix 2. For me it came down to battery -- but not just that the Perdix 2 has a user replaceable battery, but more that other threads on ScubaBoard suggested to me that a relatively high number of Teric owners on ScubaBoard were reporting that they've had problems (not just normal wearing out) with the Teric battery and had to return their computers one or multiple times because of that. I just want my computer to work when I need it to work, and don't have much patience for having to return it multiple times to the manufacturer and wait for it to come back. I did not look at the Mk2i, so I can't comment on that one.

I went through deciding on the Perdix 2 and Teric recently (in this thread) and finally decided on the Perdix 2. For me it came down to battery -- but not just that the Perdix 2 has a user replaceable battery, but more that other threads on ScubaBoard suggested to me that a relatively high number of Teric owners on ScubaBoard were reporting that they've had problems (not just normal wearing out) with the Teric battery and had to return their computers one or multiple times because of that. I just want my computer to work when I need it to work, and don't have much patience for having to return it multiple times to the manufacturer and wait for it to come back. I did not look at the Mk2i, so I can't comment on that one.

Thanks Rob!

Yesterday there was a post for a Teric and swift transmitter at a great price, that would be my choice.

im intrigued by the Garmin but I already have the transmitters so I don’t see a reason the change.

The Garmin has a compass. Both are close to the same size.

As a dive computer the Garmin advantages are GPS, long range AI, and much more readable screen on the surface, especially in the sun.

As a dive computer the Teric advantages are industry standard AI, more readable screen in the water, Shearwater customer support.

I have the Garmin MK2i, and love it. But overall I think it only wins if it is your everyday watch since it is far superior in that regard, otherwise go with the Teric as a dive computer only.

I too have both the Teric and Garmin and have to agree 100% with L13 comments above, I love the Garmin because I use it as an everyday watch and dive computer. If you are really just after a dive computer I would go for the Teric, but the Garmin is a great dive computer as well, but teric is more intuitive and user friendly (Garmin has many features and can get complicated to setup).

Yesterday there was a post for a Teric and swift transmitter at a great price, that would be my choice.

im intrigued by the Garmin but I already have the transmitters so I don’t see a reason the change.

I have my eye on that. May pull trigger at end of the week when I get paid.

The Garmin has a compass. Both are close to the same size.

As a dive computer the Garmin advantages are GPS, long range AI, and much more readable screen on the surface, especially in the sun.

As a dive computer the Teric advantages are industry standard AI, more readable screen in the water, Shearwater customer support.

I have the Garmin MK2i, and love it. But overall I think it only wins if it is your everyday watch since it is far superior in that regard, otherwise go with the Teric as a dive computer only.

Yeah I don’t need a everyday watch. Thanks!

I too have both the Teric and Garmin and have to agree 100% with L13 comments above, I love the Garmin because I use it as an everyday watch and dive computer. If you are really just after a dive computer I would go for the Teric, but the Garmin is a great dive computer as well, but teric is more intuitive and user friendly (Garmin has many features and can get complicated to setup).

Thanks for the reply!

I don't think Garmin can compete until they have AMOLED diplays in their diving watches. I have both a Teric and a Perdix. I personally prefer the Perdix because I can fit all the parameters I like to keep an eye on during tec dives without ever switching screen. On the other hand the Teric is great is you like small form factors (it's still a very large watch compared to the running watches and other smart watches).

I don't think Garmin can compete until they have AMOLED diplays in their diving watches. I have both a Teric and a Perdix. I personally prefer the Perdix because I can fit all the parameters I like to keep an eye on during tec dives without ever switching screen. On the other hand the Teric is great is you like small form factors (it's still a very large watch compared to the running watches and other smart watches).
Yeah I think I like the watch form better. Think my mind is about made up! I just hope they don’t come out with a Teric 2 right after I buy 🤣

I have a Perdix 2 and my friend has a Teric, we have dove a lot together and I don't think you can go wrong with either, I like the big easy two buttons on the Perdix , She actually had one on her Teric stick probably from salt, a little warm water soaking and it was fine, but the buttons are tiny. Both interfaces are fantastic underwater! Hers doubles as a nice watch on the surface where as not so much for the Perdix 2....Both AI work flawlessly (Far better than my old Oceanic using the exact same transmitter!) Her Teric seems to hold a charge forever! I've churned through a few batteries already, and if you get a normal AA , it will shut off some functionality (This was a slight issue in Indonesia as that was only battery I could get in a pinch) But either way Shearwater makes fantastic computers!

Back
Top Bottom