Niagara Shipwreck divers found alive: Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I started posting this as Shipwreck divers reported missing but the article was updated as I linked to it

From Missing shipwreck divers found alive - JSOnline

Sounds like two divers going in with no one left on the boat, then separated. Hope they are found safe and floating away somewhere, always leave a pilot onboard in the future, and stay together....

First story...
Two divers exploring the wreck of the sunken ship Niagara were missing late Sunday in Lake Michigan near Harrington Beach in Ozaukee County, according to Lt. Bryan Swintek of the U.S. Coast Guard, Sector Lake Michigan.

The two were expected back about 3:30 or 4 p.m. The Coast Guard received a call that they were overdue a couple of hours later, and sent a 25-foot vessel to look for them, Swintek said. The boat remained anchored at sea over the wreck, but no one was in it, he said.

"We believe that the people are still under water, and we are now working with our local partners," he said about 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

Those partners include the Ozaukee County Sheriff's Department's dive team. Swintek said he did not know how long the rescue operation would continue.

Updated...
Two divers exploring the wreck of the sunken ship Niagara were found alive late Sunday after being missing for more than six hours in Lake Michigan near Harrington Beach in Ozaukee County, according to Lt. Bryan Swintek of the U.S. Coast Guard, Sector Lake Michigan.

The two were expected back about 3:30 or 4 p.m. The Coast Guard received a call that they were overdue a couple of hours later, and sent a 25-foot vessel to look for them, Swintek said. The boat remained anchored over the wreck, but no one was in it, he said.

Divers from the Ozaukee County Sheriff's Department and other local dive teams conducted an underwater search but found nothing.

Around 11:30 p.m., one diver was found alive on shore, Swintek said. He had surfaced with the aid of a flotation device and swam to shore to find help for his friend, whom he had last seen around 9 p.m. The Coast Guard continued to search with boats and helicopters. Within a few minutes, the other diver also was located alive on shore, Swintek said.

They've got some 'splaining to do!

This should have been in the Near Misses, but when I first posted it - they hadn't been found and prospects didn't sound good. The link updated to a new headline just as I posted, and I was very surprised - and happy for the dumb asses.

Back
Top Bottom