Nice Resort in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going on a family vacation with quite a few non-divers who likes nice beach resort with good reef snorkeling either in front of the resort or as close as possible. What hotel/resort do you recommend? Where should I head to Islamorada or further down?

I'm going on a family vacation with quite a few non-divers who likes nice beach resort with good reef snorkeling either in front of the resort or as close as possible. What hotel/resort do you recommend? Where should I head to Islamorada or further down?
Here are some hotel suggestions in the Islamorada area:

www.chesapeake-resort.com/

www.holidayisle.com

Cheeca Lodge & Spa

Also look at this site for reviews and other info:

www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34346-Islamorada_Florida_Keys_Florida-Hotels.html

Regarding snorkeling - the reefs in the Keys are +/- 6 miles offshore - loooong swim - anything close to shore is likely to be sand - the Keys really require a charter or a boat to get out to the reefs.

Its not a problem as many operators cater to those who wish to snorkel, and many sites are shallow but you need a boat to get to them.

Some have posted about shore diving in the John Pennecamp Park (in Key Largo), but the Keys really do not have "good" sites to snorkel from the beach - its not the Carribean by any means.

Also, the keys are not known for beautiful beaches - sounds strange, but its true. Sure, you can find sand next to the water - but you are unlikely to compare it to Hawaii, or Magens Bay on St Thomas in the USVI.

I've been going to the upper Keys since 1978, and I have yet to find a shore site worth snorkeling, or a beach that is world class......OTOH, the diving, especially in Islamorada and Key Largo, can be excellent.

Just don't want the other members of your group disappointed!

Hi Gussy,

Yes, unfortunately, no reef snorkeling offshore. I always recommend that my customers head to Annes Beach in Islamorada for a spot of beach sunbathing and swimming. Chesapeake is nice, I have stayed there before, bit quiet maybe.

In Key Largo (better diving than Islamorada) the Pelican is nice. Loads of similar resorts with small artificial beaches on the bay. Make sure your non-divers have a rental car and an idea of where they are going to visit (Theatre of the sea, Diving museum, Feeding the Tarpon at Robbies, Miami South Beach, or whatever.) There arent many resorts in the keys where you can entertain non-divers for a significant amount of time on property without them driving around a bit. nearest you could get would be the Key Largo Grande or Holiday Isle (If they like that sort of young partying holiday camp type thing)

Ocean Pointe has reasonable rates, a pool, marina and beach and snorkeling right off the beach

Quite honestly- if you do not dive, fish, or like to lounge around the pool, there just isn't much to do in the Upper or Middle Keys... which is probably why I love it.

If I had a bunch of non divers with me I too would consider Hawk's Cay on Duck Key. They have a great pool, a manmade lagoon/beach area, and just renovated their rooms. Downside is it is 15-20 minutes from any sort of night life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom