Night Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EVEYPR7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i've made around 20 dives since I was certified. My dive buddy wants me to make a night dive, but I don't feel good about this, I really don't like the dark in the surface, so i can imagen how dark it is in the deep. What can I do to overcome this fear of night diving? Your suggestions will be greatful, cuase he says at nite it's better. :dazzler1:

EVEYPR7:
Hi, i've made around 20 dives since I was certified. My dive buddy wants me to make a night dive, but I don't feel good about this, I really don't like the dark in the surface, so i can imagen how dark it is in the deep. What can I do to overcome this fear of night diving? Your suggestions will be greatful, cuase he says at nite it's better. :dazzler1:

Try the first one close to the boat or shore ( in a quarry if you can) stay on the rope. Repeat as many times as needed, I am sure your buddy would understand until you got comfortable with it. It is a little diff. but if you have a huge light cannon it is not bad, I have a light from "UK Tribal Pak" it almost takes the fun from night diving because it is so bright. It also helps on the serfice because you can usualy get the attention of the boat alot faster.

You could try starting the dive just as the sun goes down but it is still light. It gets gradually darker while you are under and it is easier to adapt to.

Other thing is, everyone is tentative about their first night dive so that is normal. But remember, they are not necessarily for everyone and that's ok, too. If you don't like the dark anyway, it is perhaps not a good idea. But if it's just normal nerves, they will soon go. Night diving is cool but if you don't enjoy it, there is no point. Let us know what happens.

How about doing the Advanced Open Water (PADI) or your training agencies equivalent. You do 5 dives, one of which can be a night dive. You get some usefull theory then get to dive with an instructor who you can talk through your concerns with before the dive.

AOW is a good course to introduce inexperienced divers to new diving practices/environments.

If you dont want to pay for a course how about paying for a DM guide from a LDS. Then at least you have someone experienced to ease the anxiety and give you good advise.

How experienced is your buddy, and in particular with night dives?

-Jack

Everyone feels the same trepidation. You are totally normal for feeling hesitant! The only way to find out just how NOT scary it is to just bite the bullet and do it. Most night dives I have been on start when it's still light out, so you are not leaping into the dark abyss, it's light out when you do your entry and gets dark gradually. You will find that the scariness wears off as soon as you open your eyes and look around. You can see almost as much as you an during the day with you light (and everyone else's light around you). It really is no scarier than diving in the daytime, believe it or not.

SquattingRadishDM:
How about doing the Advanced Open Water (PADI) or your training agencies equivalent. You do 5 dives, one of which can be a night dive. You get some usefull theory then get to dive with an instructor who you can talk through your concerns with before the dive.

AOW is a good course to introduce inexperienced divers to new diving practices/environments.

If you dont want to pay for a course how about paying for a DM guide from a LDS. Then at least you have someone experienced to ease the anxiety and give you good advise.

How experienced is your buddy, and in particular with night dives?

-Jack
He is experienced, many years of diving, but is not certified. That is what makes me nervous, during the day, I have no problem, but at nite, thats another story. Eventhough he recommeds that we go during the early evening, but I still have my doubts.

Just take your time adapting to it a little at a time. When your ready to do it you will.

DO NOT LET PEER PRESSURE PUSH YOU UNTO ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT READY TO DO!!!!! That's where accidents happen.

Gary D.

I'd have to agree, if you are not totally comfortable with your dive buddy for doing this night dive, then I would also recommend the AOW. I have done a couple of night dives and they were both vastly different - the first in FL in a underground cave fed by a spring - crystal clear water and visibility with light was unbelievable; the second, visibility was about 2 feet and somewhat disorientating at times. If you know the dive site, that will help a lot and I would not recommend you dive at night in an unfamiliar dive site with the way you are feeling. It is a great feeling and if you can at some point during the dive get to appreciate the different animals that come out then you will leave the water wondering how soon you can do the next night dive!! :)

EVEYPR7:

Do yourself a big favor

Take one of the largest, brightest lights you can get, then take 2 small back-up lights.

EVEYPR7:
He is experienced, many years of diving, but is not certified. That is what makes me nervous, during the day, I have no problem, but at nite, thats another story. Eventhough he recommeds that we go during the early evening, but I still have my doubts.
There is a program through PADI to certify people like that. Not everyone will do it though, but it's worth asking.

Night diving is the BEST! It's a whole different world down there at night.

Back
Top Bottom