Night diving experiences...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find night diving very thrilling as you are in complete darkness w/ the exception where you are shining your light. The unknown and the mystery of not being able to tell or know whats around you adds another level of adventure to the dive. Yes we all know you are just as safe as during the day but you still get that feeling in the pit of your stomach due to the uncertainty. Also the creatures are so cool as already mentioned. Some fish are sleeping and lobsters are usually out walking around. See lots of squid too! Good diving to you

Look @ this video, most of these were asleep, the parrot's seemed 'upside down'.......click link

Video of nite dive on Soto Trader - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My fiancee and I booked our dives (with:Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico I've heard they're awesome!) and we also booked a night dive for when we go to Cozumel. A few close buddies of ours said just to do it, they wouldn't tell us why, just that we should do one. Is it that spectacular that you just have to see for yourself? It's driving me nuts, it's kind of scary. It's so stupid, just like someone won't tell me EXACTLY what's in the 'Tree of Life' @ Disney World, that you just have to see it for yourself. Although for adrenaline's sake it's pretty exciting not to know, but I am losing sleep so pleeeease give me at least a hint......

'Tanks':rofl3:
Aubrey :wink:

You are not going to be disappointed, Night Diving or with Blue XT SEA. The best way DH and I describe it is like walking in the woods at night with a flash light. You see what's going on within the light, and after that, who knows what's out there. There is a bit of mystery about it, but, really no worries. Your Divemaster will be aware of what you are doing and you will be fine. It is very important to listen to the dive briefing as there are a few things that are done a little differently. Most importantly is the way your light is used to signal as opposed to hand signals, which, can not be seen during a night dive. Another tip is to be careful not to shine your light in someone's face, if you can all help it. Also, you may want to invest in a battery operated glow stick of sorts to identify each other. DH and I use green light sticks, sometimes red. Depending on what we have with us. Chemical sticks are not allowed in marine park. You will have a wonderful time. Have a great trip. Sue Sue

My anxiety is also about sharks. What I have learned about sharks is that they never sleep. About 1/2 of the shark's brain is at rest at a time, so they don't have to 'sleep' like humans do.

Don't worry about the sharks. All I've ever seen in Coz were nurse sharks which were hanging out enjoying their bottom time and were totally uninterested in people.

Do try to make sure you are going in a single group - or that if there are two groups on the boat they will be separated by enough time/space underwater that they won't intermingle - and the leaders have clearly distinguishable markers.

My second night dive in Coz has been the only night/dawn dive that I have found disappointing - mainly because I spent all of my time trying to keep my eye on my buddy and on the leader, especially once the two groups (8-10 people each) accidentally merged. One leader had a strobe that went off about once every 15-30 seconds (so you had to look at each of the 20 or so people in the merged group for that long to figure out which one was flashing) and the other used two lights (as did several of the participants).

Other than that - enjoy. It's as different underwater at night as it is in any other populated area. Different critters inhabit the area at different times. Some are only out at night, some are only out during the day, and some change their habits dramatically based on the time of day. Sleeping parrotfish are a real hoot - especially if there is an entire wall of them. They are wrapped in mucous sacs and their entire bodies turn to follow you as you pass. (No one has found them for me in Coz - but I have seem remnants of their mucous sacs.)

Don't worry about the sharks. All I've ever seen in Coz were nurse sharks which were hanging out enjoying their bottom time and were totally uninterested in people.

Do try to make sure you are going in a single group - or that if there are two groups on the boat they will be separated by enough time/space underwater that they won't intermingle - and the leaders have clearly distinguishable markers.

My second night dive in Coz has been the only night/dawn dive that I have found disappointing - mainly because I spent all of my time trying to keep my eye on my buddy and on the leader, especially once the two groups (8-10 people each) accidentally merged. One leader had a strobe that went off about once every 15-30 seconds (so you had to look at each of the 20 or so people in the merged group for that long to figure out which one was flashing) and the other used two lights (as did several of the participants).

Other than that - enjoy. It's as different underwater at night as it is in any other populated area. Different critters inhabit the area at different times. Some are only out at night, some are only out during the day, and some change their habits dramatically based on the time of day. Sleeping parrotfish are a real hoot - especially if there is an entire wall of them. They are wrapped in mucous sacs and their entire bodies turn to follow you as you pass. (No one has found them for me in Coz - but I have seem remnants of their mucous sacs.)

Check these grey reefs out on Puta Sur Sur....they were all over the place in late '07....click link & look @ bottom of page, 4 or 5 short videos I believe.....

GEAUXtiger/CZMUWvideoNov07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I made my first night dive a couple of weeks ago in Teneriffe (Canary Islands). The experience was great! The first words that came out of my mouth when we surfaced were: "Guys, diving should only be allowed at night!" :D

There's more light underwater at night than you'd expect, especially if the sky is clear. And when you switch your light on, you immediately realise why night diving is so much fun. Much more to see than during daytime, you can easily approach sleeping fish, there's a lot more creatures crawling on the rocks and sandy bottom...

If there's anyone out there wondering whether to do a night dive or not, I say DO IT!

The first time I was aware of night diving was back in 95. I was in a restaurant high up on a cliff in St Thomas and I witnessed a beautiful sight that I'd never seen before: in the dark waters down below the cliff the ocean started to glow an awesome iridescent green in one area and then got brighter and brighter, till I saw several individual lights reach the surface. Before that night I'd never considered night diving, but knew right then that I had to try it.
A couple years later I was in Cancun I got my first chance to try out night diving, to see if it was anything worthwhile. I was a very nervous about descending into pitch dark water, but had to at least give it a go, once. I booked a 2 tank night dive, where we did our first dive just before dusk, when the lights weren't needed at first. Gradually it got darker and we started using our lights to see into the dark spaces in the reef, till it eventually was totally night and the lights were on full time. After our surface interval it was of course full dark by over an hour, but now we new divers knew what to expect, and there was no hesitation at all when we did that second dive!
From that night on I have been hooked on night diving. No vacation or dive sight seems complete if I don't get a chance to do a night dive, if the conditions at the sight are conducive (safe) for night dives. My teenagers both are also hooked: my daughter tells everyone about our night dive last year in Bonaire where we turned off our lights and were using the moonlight. Suddenly our viability went south and a quick check of our lights showed us @3-4 feet away from a southern stingray feeding in the sand. We immediately shut the lights off again and settled to the sand and watched the ray feed for a good 10 minutes. The reef at night is a different world than in the daytime!

I remember I was very skeptical before my first night dive, however I got over it almost instantly once I got down. It is a totally different experience from diving during the day, even if its the exact same site. You will see an abundance of different life, squid and such! Very fun stuff.

What I like about night diving is the slower pace it seems to take on. Because your senses are heightened you notice more creatures than you would during the day. I seemed to get lost watching a little box crab do absolutely nothing. It's a great way to get in the zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom