Night diving in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jendra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I should be arriving at Nassau, Bahamas on December 22nd after 10 am. This late morning estimated arrival time eliminates me from joining a morning dive. I see many of the dive ops offer afternoon dives. Which may be what I choose to do....but, I haven't seen anything about night dives?
Do they tend to book many night dives?

On another note....
I am a certified diver and my friend that will be joining me for the trip is not certified.. He previously dove while in Mexico. Is the Bahamas as 'carefree' in doing the quick site license to allow non divers to dive as they tend to do in Mexico?

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!
Jenny

Some people have asked, so I thought I would post it.
We should arrive around 10 am and then we do not leave until the next day at 7:30 am...

Jen,

I just got back from the Bahamas. We had great viz and the water temp was 80F to 81F.

The only dive shop that I know of that has a night dive is Stuarts cove. It is about a 45 min drive(they pick you up) from the port.

The shops I dove with were pretty tight on the discovery divers. One shop had flash cards and did the inwater minor skills. They run the discover dives pretty shallow. One was no deeper than 15 ft. If your friend received a discovery dive card for the last time they dove, some shops will not make them go through the training again which might allow for a second dive.

I am sure all the shops have a discovery dive for the non certified diver going with you. They usually run about 110.00 to 120.00. They are all a 1 tank dive.

I have heard of Stuarts Cove running both the Discovery dive groups with the certified divers. You might want to email them. Bob Kay from Stuarts cove responded back to me within a day. USOffice@stuartcove.com

I would, at the minimum, bring your own regs. The equipment was hit and miss for the group I dove with that rented their equipment. Stuart Cove usually has good gear.

If it was me I would ditch the resort diver and do my own dives:D

Please remember that your resort diver may need a medical form in order to dive. They were pretty strict about it. They turned away one person that was over 45 and did not have a Med form signed by his doctor.

Last edited:
I dove with Stuart Cove's in Aug. They do pick up for the afternoon 2-tank, starting at/near Paradise Island,at around 11:30 a.m. I stayed in Cable Beach, and the pickup time there was at noon.There were cruise ship divers on several of the p.m. dives, and one day, there was a separate bus coming from the cruise ship.

One of the staff mentioned that night dives could be scheduled if there was a sufficient number of divers signed up.
I'd second the suggestion to contact them about all the aspects of your situation.

Enjoy your cruise.

Froid~ 80 F? Sweet! That is like bath water compared to some of the diving I do around here.. :)
I am planning to take my dive gear..well all except my weights and tank. Who knows.. I may end up ditching him after all! I showed him a few other sites too with kayaking and such.. so he may do that!?!

Miked~Thanks! I sent them an email. Did you enjoy their service? I have read a few threads people saying they tend to have lots of people on their trips.
I am hoping they respond quickly.

Any other suggestions on what to see or do while we are there?

We dove with SC last summer for a week......we felt they were a great op......

Some boats were full others were almost empty.......

The shark dive might fit your schedule batter......it was awesome and leaves at 1:00 pm.......

We only had 5 divers, not sure if they take resort divers.......

Hope this helps..........M

Stuart Cove?s Shark Adventure Bahamas Shark Feeder Adventure Outline - Shark Adventure

Attachments

• _DSC7900.jpg
    _DSC7900.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 208
  • _DSC7944.jpg
    _DSC7944.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 263
Wow! Great pictures Jorgy!
That looks awesome. I may ditch the non certified diver to do the shark dives!?! :)
How long did the dives last?

You do two dives.......

First was a standard dive along a mini wall, an out and back dive, lasted 46 min......

Then the shark feeding dive was at the same location it lasted 42 min......but it was a get to the bottom and sit there..........

SC sends down a feeder, a still photographer and a video guy.......

Hence the pictures........

I went solo as my darling bride doesn’t like the whole shark thing......we both agreed it was worth it.......

M

Not bad for the price and for the amazing experience!
Thanks for the info and sharing your pictures.

I'm heading to Eleuthera on the 23rd. For you that have been to Bahamas... Has anyone been to Spanish Wells/North Eleuthera? Do you have an opinion on who to dive with.. Anyone gone with Valentine's Dive Center or ocean Fox Diving?

Back
Top Bottom