Nikon Coolpix 995 Digital Housing;

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had an Ikelite housing for my Nikon 950 for 3 years now. Although it takes fine pictures, I find the housing so heavy and large, I often don't take it with me on trips.

I own the 950 and the Ikelite housing, and I also have a 995. I stumbled on an ad in one of the various dive mags referring to a much smaller housing for the 995, from Aquatica.

The folks at Wetpixel.com wrote a great review of it.

Wetpixels

Hope that helps!

--Rick

The Aquatica IS more compact. I'm (it's really my wife's) using it with a single Sb-105 strobe and a TLC arm set. It's about as compact as a NikV or MMII with strobe. It is very well made and has access to all functions "except one". No TTL! Yes it uses a standard Nikonos connector for the strobe, but the TTl sensor on the cammera is covered by the housing. For me it is not a big problem, all manual adjustments are easy to set, and compensation is a matter of turning one knob. But, if TTL is important feature for you, stick with the Ikelite.

Know all about the Aquatica, friend has one in Scotland. Doesn't like it as he states it is difficult to use when taking vertical shots due to the way the housing is designed. Viewfinder is offset to the lens.

Rax - Thanks for the info on your Nikon setup. I have a Nikon 990 and was looking at getting a housing for it. My current UW camera is a MMII with 2 stobes.

It sounds like you are having a lot of luck with "regular" strobes. I was afraid I would have to get new stobes in addition to the housing, but it sounds like I maybe ok without.

normaldiver once bubbled...
Rax - Thanks for the info on your Nikon setup. I have a Nikon 990 and was looking at getting a housing for it. My current UW camera is a MMII with 2 stobes.

It sounds like you are having a lot of luck with "regular" strobes. I was afraid I would have to get new stobes in addition to the housing, but it sounds like I maybe ok without.

yes... I don't think the 990 has preflash? I'm not sure if the newer nikons (5000, 5700, etc) went to a preflash or not. Can you turn off the internal flash on the 990? Then you'd be all set to use pretty much any strobe... you'd just have to have the correct strobe to housing cord (ikelite connection on end for housing, and other end to match your strobe... I know they make 'em for ikelite, nikonos, sea&sea, ....maybe others)

Thank you Walt for this thread. It's been valuable for me since I'm buying a housing for my CP995. After reading this I'm in no doubt : Ikelite housing and lights.

I really like your website. Looking forward to studying it all.

Regards,
Gisle, Norway
www.world-discoverer.com :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom