Nikon setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lims

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking into DSLR's with housing, I've been doing photography on film SLR's for years and using a compact camera underwater, it's time to get a digital DSLR. Pretty sure it will be nikon, what's the lightest nikon available that I can get macro and wide angle lenses and ports for? Also is there any setups available where you can take shots using a big screen, as appose to a small viewfinder?
I've been looking at the D300 and the D90 as they seem to be the main ones, any guidance? Why should I pay extra for a D300?

I would... I did. :)

It depends on what your personal goals are for your photography. Are you a Professional or are you a serious amateur?

Truth be told, both the D300 and D90 are great cameras in their own right.
The main difference between the 2 that i can see (without splitting hairs) is that the D90 in able to take "movie clips", where the D300 doesn't. Is taking movies underwater important to you??? The D300 has the better "auto focus" ability.

The general best advice is to spend money on the best glass you can afford. Yes the D300 is a great camera! But if you go and blow all your cash of it and buy a cheap lens for it, you're doing yourself a disservice! Depending on your cash reserves..... (I don't know you could be a millionaire) it would be far more advisable to buy the D90 together with a few great lenses.

What lenses do you have on your film camera? If you have some great lenses already then by all means....go for the D300. (both the D90 and D300 have built in motors for focusing) Like Mariozi said "I would... I did."

Here's a useful comparison:

Nikon D90 Compared to the Nikon D300: Main Feature Differences:

• The Nikon D90 offers 12-bit image processing compared to the Nikon D300 where 12-bit or 14-bit can be selected; internal full 16-bit.
  • Nikon D90 Body is made of polycarbonate versus the Nikon D300 which is made of rugged magnesium alloy and features enhanced weather seal protection
  • The D300 provides faster start up (0.13 sec) and minimal shutter lag (45ms) compared to the D90 (0.15 sec start up and 65ms shutter lag)
  • D-Movie HD video clip recording function is available on the D90 in Live View mode.
  • The D300 offers phase-difference detection Auto Focus in "Tripod shooting mode" (not available on D90)
  • Support for SD memory cards versus the D300 which supports CompactFlash memory cards
  • The D90 incorporates a 420-pixel RGB sensor for metering compared to the Nikon D300 with a higher end 1,005-pixel RGB sensor. Leveraging the data provided by the1,005-pixel RGB Matrix Meter, the Scene Recognition System in the Nikon D300 provides more precise subject identification, optimizing autofocus, exposure and white balance detection.
  • D300 offers both a CPU and AI exposure meter coupling to support metering with older type Nikkor lenses
  • The Nikon D90 features 11 focus points versus the Nikon D300 with a broader AF coverage with 51 focus points
  • The Nikon D300 uses a faster AF module (CAM 3500DX) and offers 15 cross type sensors, Fine AF adjustment is possible on the D300 to match the lens in use.
  • Viewfinder frame coverage of approx.96% with the D90 compared to 100% coverage with the Nikon D300.
  • The D90 offers Continuous shooting at approx. 4.5 fps versus approx. 6 fps with the D300. The D300 can shoot at up to 8fps with the optional MB-D10 vertical battery grip accessory.
  • "Portrait" and "Landscape" Picture Controls have been added in the Nikon D90. With the D300 these two additions must be downloaded
  • "Extra high" and "Auto" added to Active D-Lighting options on the D90. (D300: these two options are not available)
  • "Distortion control", "Straighten", "Fisheye", "Filter effects" ("Cross screen"/"Red intensifier"/"Green intensifier"/"Blue intensifier"), "Small picture", "Quick retouch", "NEF (RAW) processing" available as in camera retouch functions (On the D300 these options not available)
  • The Nikon D90 offers 72 thumbnail playback display, calendar display, and histogram for only the portion of the image displayed with playback zoom
  • Advanced Scene Modes are offered on the D90 which are not available on the D300
  • Shutter durability of 100,000 cycles on the Nikon D90 compared to the more durable shutter mechanism incorporated in the D300 which is rated up to 150,000 exposures
  • Optional Nikon WT-4a wireless file transmitter accessory is available for the Nikon D300
  • The D300 offers a greater degree of customization total of 48 custom settings
Nikon D90 Compared to Canon EOS 50D and D80, D300

At this stage, if you have the option for a D90 with better lenses than a D300 go for it.
If the choice between the two won't affect your budget, go straight to the D300.

I have a D300. The things I find in it better than the D90, is not anything that affects Image Quality or versatility (video) thing. What makes me love the D300 is that it increases my productivity.

After 10y shooting, I found now I can make much more use of D300 advanced features (aluminum body & more direct controls), than a few years ago.
Just last night I picked up a D90 from a friend in a dinner, even though I was shooting a D80 up to last year (and the D80 has almost the same controls of the D90) I was amazed at how faster the operation on a D300 is (and it is the same on D3(x) and D700).

MarineResearch posted a very complete comparison between the two, and I love Ken Rockwell's site and reports, but he's definitely not an uw photographer, and lately has become crazier than ever (or just a slave of his former extraordinary opinions). Today I find Thom Hogan has a lot more in common with what I think and how I shoot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom