Nikon Vs Sigma Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just wanted to hear some oppinions on the two lenses. I just purchased a large Nikon set up, and was tolded that the Nikon 28-200 lens I ordered was no longer available and they switched a sigma 28-300 in its place. It has been a long time sence I have updated my camera gear, and remember that Sigma was at one time concidered an inferior lens. I pleaded with the dealer that I wanted the Nikon, but they insisted that it was not availble.

Did I get caught in a bait and switch deal, or is a Sigma 28-"300" for a Nikon 28-"200" a good deal?

Thanks.

Sigma makes good lenses, but they should be substantially cheaper than a Nikon lens having the same specs.

Sounds like a bait and switch to me. As Vladmir says, the Sigma should be a lot cheaper. I don't know what the Nikon was going to cost, but you might consider the Sigma 18-200 with image stabilization for $550 at BHPhotoVideo.com. It's a less expensive version of the Nikon 18-200VR.

You do know that a 28-200 (or 18-200) lens is not a good choice for underwater photography, right? Just checking.

David

Yeah, I know its not the one for UW. I just bought the camera at a great price, then they offered all the extras and I chose the Nikon lens. I think it was around the price you mentioned, but they insisted that the 300 sigma was an $800 value........so they "gave " it to me at the $500rate. Did'nt know if that was a good deal or not. It feels like the bait and switch to make up for the great deal on the camera body price......

Thanks

I recommend adorama and B&H Photo Video for shopping or, at least, price checking. Both are reputable dealers with great prices. If you are getting a much better price, you are probably being scammed.

Yeah, I know its not the one for UW. I just bought the camera at a great price, then they offered all the extras and I chose the Nikon lens. I think it was around the price you mentioned, but they insisted that the 300 sigma was an $800 value........so they "gave " it to me at the $500rate. Did'nt know if that was a good deal or not. It feels like the bait and switch to make up for the great deal on the camera body price......

Thanks

I'd check with them again to make sure. If this is the lense, Sigma has it listed on their website at $420 retail.

Sigma - Lenses

while the advise you are getting here is correct, the sigma lenses are excellent lenses these days. they are a good bit cheaper than the nikon lenses, but the bench marks have been very similar. and for the money, the sigma is a better purchase. although the nikon lenses are the better overall quality lenses.
i use both nikon and sigma lenses, and both of them are excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom