Nikon Z9 underwater review in low-visibility and low-light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone,
Nowadays most cameras perform decently in shallow/clear water dives, but things can go south when the ambient light gets low or when the visibility drops.
I have years of trust in my DSLRs ability in those conditions, but I was really curious to see how a top-range mirrorless camera would cope.
Long story short, I ended up writing a comprehensive review of the Nikon Z9 (Nauticam housing), based on my testing in Sydney's temperate waters.

Short version on DPG, here: Temperate Waters with the Nikon Z9 in Nauticam Housing
And for the long version, which includes details of my side-by-side comparison with the D500, check The Underwater Club's blog here:
Review: the Nikon Z9 and Nauticam NA-Z9 housing

Let me know if any questions!
Cheers,
Nicolas

Thank you for the great information!

Do you remember what firmware version you had in the camera when you did your shoot? Do you think it would have made a difference for the underwater photographer (latest version is version 4.0 I think)?

Thank you for the great information!

Do you remember what firmware version you had in the camera when you did your shoot? Do you think it would have made a difference for the underwater photographer (latest version is version 4.0 I think)?
Hi BoltSnap, sure, I had firmware v3.1.
Yes, firmware updates can make a major difference for underwater photography: mirrorless cameras have seen some significant upgrades via firmwares, whereas DSLR firmware updates were more mundane in my recollection/rather bug fixes.
For the Z9, the v3 firmware brought major enhancements in autofocus vs 2.0.
The v4 firmware is meant to also enhance Autofocus, with relation to small subjects, and I anticipate this can be beneficial for underwater photography. The auto-capture features should be interesting too, at least for selfies :D
My first dive with the v4.0 firmware (just released) will be next week.

My first dive with the v4.0 firmware (just released) will be next week.

I really hope that you update your review after using v4.0 (pretty please).

I really hope that you update your review after using v4.0 (pretty please).
I double checked the release notes, what the v4 brings for autofocus actually is "Improved focus accuracy for dark, low-contrast subjects."
So yes, I am certainly keen to test & update the review if i notice changes :)
Fingers crossed, this might improve the red-light situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom