NiMH FUD from UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A while ago I asked for people's opinion on the UK C8 vs. the UK D4. Lots of people recommended the C8 eLED. This weekend, I dove with a guy who had one and they are very nice indeed. The light is so hot it's really quite amazing.

However, as much as I like the C8 eLED, I'm being encouraged to go for a D4 because of the optional lantern handle. I plan to take a wreck course and I'll need to be able to hold a reel with together with a light in the same hand. (If somebody has an alternate suggestion, I'd like to hear it.)

So I'm back to the D4. I really wish UK would solve my dilemma by offering a D4 eLED, but from what they tell me, it won't happen due to heat build-up. (I don't understand why that would be the case since C and D cells have the same voltage.)

Anyway, I asked UK if the 18 watt bulb from the D4R would fit in the D4 reflector. They said it would fit, but told me not to use NiMH because

"you will not get an even discharge and burn our bulbs"

and

"because if you use rechargeable C or D batteries after a few charges they will not be charged at the same level of charge. Therefore the ones that are at a lower charge will be charged by the higher charged ones when using. Don't like my head being blown off. Batteries are dangerous. Unless you are using a one cell rechargeable battery. Meaning only one cell will be used in the flashlight."

Is this true or is it just FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) in order to convince people to purchase their NiCAD batteries? I personally think NiCAD batteries suck in comparision to NiMH.

Also, has anyone tried the optional narrow beam reflector for the D4? Is it preferable over the standard wide beam reflector?

Thanks in advance.

JimC:
Honestly, buy a Can light.

Buy a 10W or 18W HID can light with ether NiMH or lead acid bats. Get a goodman handle on it.

Anything from the $350 on sold off scuba board at http://www.nite-diver.com/products.html to the topish end $1400 Helios 9 http://www.extreme-exposure.com/lights/heliosmatrix.shtml.

I wouldn't use any of the UK lights as a primary light in an overhead environment. I also would never want to try useing a pistol grip light with a reel.
Thanks for the advice. I won't be going into an overhead environment for a while so I'll use the UK for now, then get a better light to use as a primary when I need it.

JimC:
Honestly, buy a Can light.

Buy a 10W or 18W HID can light with ether NiMH or lead acid bats. Get a goodman handle on it.

Jim,

The one concern I have over HIDs is that with my Greenforce F2 Pro Head torch, I can have a couple of spare lamps in my bags at the cost of about £5. A HID replacement is, what?, 80 or 90 quid? Perhaps I'm miserable but I can't imagine me throwing in a spare HID lamp into my travel bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom