Nitrogen Increase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liquid said,

"So the problem with the temprature isn't a direct one, since like you pointed out, cold liquids can contain MORE gas. Rather it's indirect- you get more stressed, and therefore more susceptible to DCS".

Quite so, Liquid. Which is why I said

"Work rate and stress I can understand. Water temperature, No."

There are many stressors on a dive. The point I made was that the degree of thermal stress depends on the quality of insulation eg. dry suit vs. wet suit. Not just the water temperature.

If these copmuters do incorporate water temperature in their algorithms they are omitting to control for a very important and unpredictable variable, the diver's thermal comport levels which may be quite independent of the water temperature. This is precisely why I cannot believe that they do.

Happy to be proven wrong, as ever!

:wink:

Doc paul-

I think I'm going to check this subject a bit further, since I am building an algorithm. I think that RGBM computers do use water temperature in their algorithm, but not in an exact formula, but rather as a few degrees of conservatism- The colder the enviorment gets, the more conservative the computer will become in several steps. Though I really am not sure of it, I might have misuncerstood.

I also belive that the newest RGBM air integrated computers do use the data of air consumption for their calculations. They "Study" the breathing patern of the diver and can deduct from it some information for the algorithm.

All said- I must admit that I may just have given way too much credit to SUUNTO.

Originally posted by Liquid
I think I'm going to check this subject a bit further, since I am building an algorithm.
Now THAT is interesting -
what is your motivation (more or less conservatism?, more variables and completeness?)
Will you verify it somehow?

Originally posted by BOOinTX

Now THAT is interesting -
what is your motivation (more or less conservatism?, more variables and completeness?)
Will you verify it somehow?

My motive?
Hm.... fun?

I think I just like to play with this. Is it more/less conservative? I think it is about the same as most deco-planers are. I am adding several features that I haven't seen in other planners. I still wonder about the tempertaure parameter, I think I may insert it as a factor to the stress factor, to be optionaly used if the algorithm user wants to.

As for the "will you verify it?" I am not sure what you mean-
If you mean will I dive by it?
I guess I will, but only as long as it's ok with my computer. If I get to a point where my computer disagrees, I think I'll stick to the computer (alwais did it, never had DCS :wink: ).
I am checking it constantly against other planners. I think though, the inteface is much better than most other planners :) .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom