Nitrogen Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks - will do. I'm happy to give myself a limit if this is an ongoing issue - like I say, an unhappy dive is a pointless (and dangerous) dive.

I'm off to search for "deep air"....

I don't know about medication effects although I can say I've experienced a similar feeling at about 140 feet in Bonaire. I had been diving a great deal that week prior to the deep dive.
Never had the extreme happy feeling. Just the normal joy of diving that I get almost every dive.
I do know a commercial diver who got somewhat addicted to laughing gas because he liked the narcosis so much. He got a bottle from a medical gas supply and OD'd one night. They found large amounts of nitrogen in his blood and no other reason for his death, according to the autopsy. Never really made sense to me but I wasn't a doctor yet when I read it.
It was a decade or so pre-med school.
I know I didn't like the nitrogen narcosis feeling one bit and I went up to 100 feet at a steady climb after letting my husband know how I was feeling. Went away as suddenly as it came after just 5-10 feet above where it started, too.

Back
Top Bottom