Nitrox Analyzer Recommendation by SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Most folks don't need their own analyzer since the shop blending it should have one available for use. However, they really don't cost that much though the sensor needs to be replaced every two years or so.

As for diving gas that hasn't been analyzed by me... I wouldn't do it.

note: djanni... I merged your threads since they are essentially asking the same thing.

No problem on the merge. I left this post in the wrong forum - this one - then added the same post under computers - analyzers etc but it's not there now. Strange? Why don't you move this one to right forum or tell me how.

So, I don't really see what folks are using. I am going to go with OMS. I have found that to be the best use for my 200+ dives on EANx. Most reliable, at the shop, boat or remotely.

What say all ya all who have been diving on EANx. The home made ones require more time than I am willing to give. I saw someone say they had the parts and 4 hours later it was built... if it breaks what happens. I want more protection. When you look at the cost, ask yourself what you are worth! I know $250 is not hard to come by. Cheers

Using the stores is probably how they checked it. If it was wrong it will probably be wrong again.

I want more protection. When you look at the cost, ask yourself what you are worth!

I can't make sense out of either one of these quotes. Let's assume you bring your own analyzer and the shop has theirs as well. You analyze the same tank with each analyzer. One says it's 32% and the other says it's 36%. How do you know which one is right? Why would you inherently assume that yours is "better" or "more accurate" just because you happen to own it?

I've never dove with a shop that provided Nitrox but yet didn't have an analyzer for me to use. Presented with that problem, I'd either dive air or go with a different shop.

-Charles

When the wife and I have our Nitrox tanks filled, we always check the O2 content. We use the shop's analyzer but watch them do the calibration and the air test. May consider buying our own analyzer later.

I was taught (and now teach) that all mixes should be analysed before diving (not just when collected from the shop). For that reason I have always had my own analyser. I have found both the Analox and Vandagraph to be reliable.

you just need to make sure that you check your mix when you get your tank filled and once again right before your dive. do to possible changes in the pressure of your tank from temperature changes. almost all dive shops will require you to verify the mix and sign off before you leave the shop. and most dive charters will have a analyzer on board if not you will need your own.

The only time I've really needed my analyzer is when I have a tank with some nitrox left in it and I get it topped off with air. Then it's far easier to test rather than calculate what the mix actually is. If you do this at a shop that fills nitrox then no problem - use their analyzer. Shops that only fill air might not have an analyzer on hand.

If money was a concern AND you're going to be diving out of the US, it might be better spent on a CO analyzer.

Always always always check your tank before you leave the shop, be it with their analyzer or yours. Even if what they sell is banked. I recently bought a tank of 32% from my LDS who banks it. I tested the tank before I left and it measured 23.5%. I asked the shop clerk to check if I had tested it wrong and to verify against other tanks they had filled/stored days before for rentals. She confirmed my results.

Turned out she had left the compressor on while slow filling my tank. The compressor was pumping air into the nitrox bank the entire time, diluting it. Had I dove the tank assuming it was from a shop I trust that banks the stuff, I would have gotten bent. Trust but verify.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom