Nitrox and titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro:
Any reg that is going to be used for any nitrox mx must be maintained in an oxygen clean state to reduce this risk.. it should be oxygen cleaned and dedicated.. You don't want to increase the chance of ignition above what it already is..
Works great except the fact that the moment you have finished O2 cleaning your reg, its no longer O2 clean...it has come in contact with.....gasp....air. And then when you go dive, it comes in contact with the water and the stuff that is in the water. and sometimes spit gets in there as well.

Give me a break...O2 clean regs for nitrox. And you don't have to repeat to me the Lawyers version of what to do with your regs.

the yoke screw is exposed to water, not the gas when diving. So it could be covered with napalm and it won't cause a problem....

"Liquids ARE compressible. Hell, even solids are compressible."

Correction. FLUIDS are compressable. Liquids are PRESSURIZABLE. Liquids are not compressable.

cerich:
the yoke screw is exposed to water, not the gas when diving. So it could be covered with napalm and it won't cause a problem....
I was thinking in terms of the second stage in regards to water and spit. The first stage still get in contact with bad nasty air though.

JeffG:
Works great except the fact that the moment you have finished O2 cleaning your reg, its no longer O2 clean...it has come in contact with.....gasp....air. And then when you go dive, it comes in contact with the water and the stuff that is in the water. and sometimes spit gets in there as well.

Give me a break...O2 clean regs for nitrox. And you don't have to repeat to me the Lawyers version of what to do with your regs.
The issue isn't exposure to "air". The issue is exposure to combustibles, such as oil from a compressor, or other organic matter. Air is O2 clean unless it gets contaminated. If an O2 clean reg is exposed to combustibles, it isn't O2 clean anymore.

Additionally, the mouthpiece of a reg isn't the issue, but rather the first stage. Obviously your lungs contain organic matter that could be combustable under the right circumstances if there was a source of ignition, but people don't normally explode when they breath O2.

Daryl Morse:
Air is O2 clean unless it gets contaminated.
Atmosphere Air (not scuba air)...last Time I checked it wasn't O2 clean.

mxracer19:
"Liquids ARE compressible. Hell, even solids are compressible."

Correction. FLUIDS are compressable. Liquids are PRESSURIZABLE. Liquids are not compressable.

"
A subset of the phases of matter, fluids include liquids and gases, plasmas and, to some extent, plastic solids. ?"

"One of the four phases of matter, a liquid is a fluid whose volume is fixed under conditions of constant temperature and pressure; and, whose shape is usually determined by the container it fills. Furthermore, liquids exert pressure on the sides of a container as well as on anything within the liquid itself; this pressure is transmitted undiminished in all directions"

In general, liquids show expansion on heating, contraction on cooling; water, however, does not follow the rule exactly. A liquid changes at its boiling point to a gas and at its freezing point, or melting point , to a solid. The boiling point is especially important because, since liquids change their states at different temperatures, those in a mixture can be separated from one another by raising the temperature of the mixture gradually so that each component in turn undergoes vaporization at its boiling point. This process is known as fractional distillation.

Liquids, like gases, exhibit the property of diffusion. When two miscible liquids (i.e., they mix without separation) are poured carefully into a container so that the denser one forms a separate layer on the bottom, each will diffuse slowly into the other until they are thoroughly mixed. Liquids, like gases, differ from solids in that they are fluids, that is, they flow into the shape of a containing vessel. Liquids exert pressure on the sides of a containing vessel and on any body immersed in them, and pressure is transmitted through a liquid undiminished and in all directions. Liquids exert a buoyant force on an immersed body equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by the body (see Archimedes' principle and specific gravity ). Unlike gases, liquids are very nearly incompressible, and for that reason are useful in such devices as the hydraulic press. Liquids are useful as solvents. No one liquid can dissolve all substances; each takes into solution only certain specific substances.

JeffG:
Atmosphere Air (not scuba air)...last Time I checked it wasn't O2 clean.
The only components of atmospheric air that aren't O2 compatible are CO, H2, and CH4. Typical "clean" atmospheric air has 2 ppm CH4 and 0.5 ppm H2 and a "trace" of CO (ppb). The ANDI specification for O2 compatible air, which is the most strict of the scuba specifications, limits CO to 2 ppm and total hydrocarbons to 25 ppm. So unless you're using a contaminated air source, atmospheric air is O2 compatible, even by the most strict standard. The main reason for having a standard is because compressors introduce hydrocarbons from their lubrication and also because they can ingest engine exhaust which contains unsafe levels of CO.

Daryl Morse:
The only components of atmospheric air that aren't O2 compatible are CO, H2, and CH4. Typical "clean" atmospheric air has 2 ppm CH4 and 0.5 ppm H2 and a "trace" of CO (ppb). The ANDI specification for O2 compatible air, which is the most strict of the scuba specifications, limits CO to 2 ppm and total hydrocarbons to 25 ppm. So unless you're using a contaminated air source, atmospheric air is O2 compatible, even by the most strict standard. The main reason for having a standard is because compressors introduce hydrocarbons from their lubrication and also because they can ingest engine exhaust which contains unsafe levels of CO.
<sigh> I was making fun of the "O2" clean issue, but I guess I was unable to convey that to you. Well thats my fault for not communicating it properly.

and I couldn't give a rats %$#%$# what ANDI says. I do PP fills with un O2 clean tanks and I haven't killed myself..............yet :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom