Nitrox Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m7scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just completed my Nitrox cert training, but have not purchased the card yet. I'm a SSI diver and intend on getting my AOW in the near future. From what I understand, when you get a new SSI card, it will list all of the specialties that you have. My question - do I really need to "buy" the Nitrox card or will I be o-kay to just wait and get the AOW card that will list Nitrox?

Thanks,
Brian

Eh just wait and get the one card with all the certs. You may have a period in between your temp card expiring and getting your AOW card where you may have trouble getting nitrox fills though.

pants!:
Eh just wait and get the one card with all the certs. You may have a period in between your temp card expiring and getting your AOW card where you may have trouble getting nitrox fills though.
That's what I'm thinking. I probably won't dive nitrox locally, so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks.

I had a time period of months between the expiration of my temp
card and receiving my Nitrox Card. When I had a dive needing
Nitrox I told my LDS and he gave me another temp card.
Problem solved!

m7scuba:
I just completed my Nitrox cert training, but have not purchased the card yet. I'm a SSI diver and intend on getting my AOW in the near future. From what I understand, when you get a new SSI card, it will list all of the specialties that you have. My question - do I really need to "buy" the Nitrox card or will I be o-kay to just wait and get the AOW card that will list Nitrox?

Thanks,
Brian
Having both allows you to put one in your wallet, the other in your dive log. That should cover every time you go to a dive shop/dive boat and some tank monkey wants to see a c-card.

I must be missing something here. You just completed an SSI Nitrox course, which you paid for, and you now have to BUY the Nitrox card? The card should come automatically as proof that you completed the course. Your LDS should submit the paperwork requesting the card to SSI on your behalf. If you are being charged extra, you are being scammed.

Also, if you want Nitrox fills you will have to produce that Nitrox card.

Forgot to mention that an AOW SSI card only lists those specialties that were required for that level of certification. Nitrox is not a required specialty for AOW. Your Nitrox card will be a separate card.

VaDiver:
Forgot to mention that an AOW SSI card only lists those specialties that were required for that level of certification. Nitrox is not a required specialty for AOW. Your Nitrox card will be a separate card.

An SSI card hold a list containing all your currently certified specialties,

The title of the card contains a general level (Open Water, Master Diver, etc.), while the specialties (Nitrox, Deep, etc.) are shown in a box on the front of the card. I beleive there's space for 6 or 7 specialties.

If you plan on taking more classes, you can wait, then get them all on one card.

Terry

VaDiver:
I must be missing something here. You just completed an SSI Nitrox course, which you paid for, and you now have to BUY the Nitrox card? The card should come automatically as proof that you completed the course. Your LDS should submit the paperwork requesting the card to SSI on your behalf. If you are being charged extra, you are being scammed.
I'm not sure about this. The only course that says that the card is included is OW. The cert trip specifically states that the card is included. My LDS says that you pay for each card that you want, but you don't need to get every single card. For example, when I finally finish wreck I don't need to get that specialty card unless I really want to have that specific card. I only plan on getting that cert listed on my AOW.

One difference is that with my shop the books are included in the course fee which I believe is typically cheaper than what I've noticed at PADI shops in Atlanta (same cost for class, but the books are extra). If I add the cost of the card, then the prices are about the same.

Thanks,
Brian

Web Monkey:
The title of the card contains a general level (Open Water, Master Diver, etc.), while the specialties (Nitrox, Deep, etc.) are shown in a box on the front of the card. I beleive there's space for 6 or 7 specialties.
Terry,
Thanks for the confirmation. I have not seen any of the SSI cards that list specialties. I guess I am going to go ahead and wait for AOW since that is the card that some dive ops will insist on seeing for certain dives.
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom