Nitrox cert company,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oxygen toxicity is a real concern and presumed to be the cause of one of the most recent diver deaths.
Oxygen toxicity is certainly something to be concerned about, but it is actually very rare in recreational diving. I assume you are talking about the recent death on the oil rig newer Los Angeles for which some people posting in the ScubaBoard thread offered oxygen toxicity as an explanation for the fatality. The fact that some people offered that suggestion does not mean that it is a general belief. I personally believe it is highly unlikely, especially given a much more likely scenario. The autopsy should be done now--you can contact the sheriff's office to get it.

Once you show you understand the material and can test your tanks and know how to set your computer you are ready to go. More dives are always nice but there is nothing really to learn in terms of nitrox at the rec level by doing a dive on Nitrox.

I agree with Steve C. IMO there is nothing extra to learn from the dives. The knowledge, how to set your computer, and gas analysis are the key issues. The dive is just a dive.

I never claimed a dive was necessary. I thought it was a great added bonus to have 2 dives with a top notch instructor for the same price as the PADI cert. You know it all divers make it hard for someone to share their own experience.

Is the problem with this company that they are shady or is it simply because they are offering a Nitrox course on line?
Is PADI instructing PADI affiliated dive shops not to honor this training and to refuse nitrox fills an attempt by PADI to maintain standards in the industry or an attempt to limit competition, especially competition that substantially under cuts their prices?

Their “check out” dives are a total fluster cluck. They are recommending random discover dives as “check out” for open water certification. From their website:
Will the course work while I'm on a Cruise Ship?
Yes! The course and subsequent scuba certification can work very nicely with cruise ships. First complete the final exam and receive the referral forms, then schedule a "Shore Excursion" at each port. Ask for a "Discover Scuba Excursion". Then schedule another excursion for the next dive, then at the next port schedule another.

thanks guys, that's kind of the feeling I was getting from it.

david holt and aquaphrohics are in the PADI sources magazine every month as a NON certifying agency there training is not recognized by any one its all a big scam

I never claimed a dive was necessary. I thought it was a great added bonus to have 2 dives with a top notch instructor for the same price as the PADI cert.

Your original post did not state that the 2 dives were at the same price as the PADI cert without. There have been cases in the pass where the dives were used to charge more or make it harder to get the NITROX cert.

You know it all divers make it hard for someone to share their own experience.

Nothing wrong with wanting more dives. I never counted my AOW against any of the certs. The more diving the merrier. Posts here are read by many folks. My comment was merely intended as clarification of what was required to actually learn what is needed for NITROX. Sorry you took it so personally. Not intended that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom