Nitrox cleaning for BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
I looked it up because I just couldn't really believe what the original poster said was in the manual.

Apparently, Mares doesn't read their manuals either, since it's still in the latest version manual of their latest BCDs. :banana:

The thumbnail I posted was cut from the PDF version of my manual. This paticular model apparently did not sell well when it was originally released. It was very reasonably priced at Scubatoys and everyone that had tried the Airtrim liked it, so I took a chance. Loading the pockets is a PITA but I can put up with that.

Yes, I read the manual because:

#1 It is a new piece of equipment.
#2 I am a newly certified diver (less than 10 OW dives).
#3 It has the Airtrim control rather than the usual power inflator on a hose that I used in training.

BTW, I took it on a pool dive for trimming purposes. I like it. :D

Thank you Larry, Phil and Zak for being so responsive to questions. It's one of the reasons I buy Mares equipment and shop at Scubatoys.

Rick

I just purchased a Mares Dragon yesterday from my local LDS, and admit I didn't think to consult SB re any issues before doing so. I was astonished to read in the enclosed manual that the BCD was not usable with Nitrox out of box, and was ready to return it for another manufacturer's product over this very issue.

The last entry in this thread was dated 03Apr07. Here it is mid October 2007, and the online manuals STILL say that a) not only do you need a conversion kit for use with Nitrox, you also b) need to have the BCD serviced by an authorized technician if subsequently used with regular compressed air.

If as several company representatives have hinted, but have not EXPRESSLY STATED that the BCD can be used with Nitrox mixes up to 40% out of box, why hasn't your online information been updated yet?

If as several company representatives have hinted, but have not EXPRESSLY STATED that the BCD can be used with Nitrox mixes up to 40% out of box, why hasn't your online information been updated yet?

Ballast,

First I would like to thank you for your interest in Mares. I am sure you will enjoy your new bcd for a long time. It really is a great product. I want to address your question. I am going to insert a quote from Phil's previous post re: nitrox and our gas delivery products. I will state that all of our gas delivery products including regulators, octos, alternate air sources, including bcds are nitrox compatible up to 40% without having to convert to a nitrox dedicated system. This applies to N. America only. The regulations of other countries dictate otherwise. If one is outside of N. America they should comply with the standards set forth by the other countries. I agree our manual could be a little more clear about this, and it is something that will be addressed on the next printing.

Thanks again for puchasing a Mares product. I hope this clears up your question, and alleviates any concerns re: nitrox and your new purchase.

Quote from Phil.
A BC is covered by this, I do agree it could specifically state BC to be clearer (that change will be made on the next printing) but this should answer anyones concern.

Safe diving,

Back
Top Bottom