Question NITROX (in less than 40 foot of water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ugh. I missed he’s not nitrox filled. In that case, dump the nitrox and fill with air.

I'll play a bit of Devil's advocate. Are the tanks marked as nitrox? Are they labeled by who filled them? How will you analyze them?

I'll stop there and let others weigh in.
Yes Sir. Here they are.
IMG_2862.png
IMG_2861.png

Well, your reasonable options are
- Dive them as they are, pretending there is air in them. With a hard bottom of 40' this is pretty safe
- Dump them and fill them with air
- Take the nitrox course

I'd recommend the third of those options, because you'll probably end up wanting to take the class some day anyway. And you'll avoid having to waste the gas, and avoid diving tanks that you really shouldn't be diving. That being said, the other options aren't exactly crazy :)

Great start. How will YOU analyze them to confirm their labeling?

I know, everyone speeds then gets mad when they get a speeding ticket. While this "should" be safe, do you want to assume that risk?

If you take the course, the shop could train you to analyze your own tanks. 🙂

An totally different perspective via an analogy. If you are a licensed motorcycle rider, would you tell a non rider that motorcycles are safe? That they should hop on and take it for a spin? Or would you be a bit more cautious and suggest they learn a bit.

If you take the course, the shop could train you to analyze your own tanks. 🙂
There's your best choice. Getting nitrox certified is not a big deal, and then you will know for sure.

I’m a safe diver guys. I think we all know we should be certified for things. But I wanted to get opinions here because I’m in water I k own. And it would be 35-40 foot this time of year.

Well, if you already have in mind the answer you want, you'll no doubt get it if you fish around enough. But, the by-the-book answer remains the same, and the book was written for a reason. I'll stick to my guns that taking the course is the least wasteful, safest path forward. And, now that you have nitrox-clean tanks, you might get some real benefit out of them if you dive much in the 60'-110' range. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the course is an hour or two and like $100 :)

Well, your reasonable options are
- Dive them as they are, pretending there is air in them. With a hard bottom of 40' this is pretty safe
- Dump them and fill them with air
- Take the nitrox course

I'd recommend the third of those options, because you'll probably end up wanting to take the class some day anyway. And you'll avoid having to waste the gas, and avoid diving tanks that you really shouldn't be diving. That being said, the other options aren't exactly crazy :)
I agree with number 3. Think of getting a discount on the course of about $40 for the cost of option 2 refills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom