NITROX Labels on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BASIC question that I have heard both answers to yes and no.

Do you need to have a Nitrox Label on your tanks to get them filled and what not. I know the rules on tanks needing the tape/sticker stating %mix and MOD but do shops require those 6" tankwrap labels that say NITROX or EAN.

Dive shops do you require it?
Divers have you ever had trouble?

Some (most) fill operations require the nitrox wrap, other do not. I avoid those shops that require the wrap.

The only sticker that you truly need on any tank is the one that says "VIP" however... if you only have one choice of dive shop, and they make you do the nitrox wrap sticker... then you need it. I've never gone anywhere that has required it. (so no - I've never had trouble) Quite frankly, it is a place for salt to collect, and potentially shorten the lifespan of your tank.

Reactions: Jax
The shops that I use dont require it I was just kinda wondering were they letting it slide it cause they know me or is it not a "Rule" I just dont remember anything about Tank-wraps in the Nitrox class I had.

The shops that I use dont require it I was just kinda wondering were they letting it slide it cause they know me or is it not a "Rule" I just dont remember anything about Tank-wraps in the Nitrox class I had.

Tanks wraps aren't required. Only a VIP sticker and a current hydro.

Something that was hopefully taught in your class is that the contents of the tank need to be clearly labeled.

I personally do not have any Nitrox stickers on any of my tanks. I want to be able to get EAN21 and EAN whatever, whenever.

Typically I've found that shops that blend or sell EAN are easier to work with, because they know what the hell they are doing.

The shops that I've found to be skeetchy are the ones who don't do EAN.

An example is Divers Direct in Key Largo. I had a 3x3 inch label on my tank which showed it was last filled with EAN25. They wanted to drain the tank and re-VIP the tank before they would fill it. Obviously I went else where. The reality is I have a greater chance of them dirtying up my tanks with their air that may not pass partial pressure blending air quality standards. The excuse they gave me was insurance issues, which may be the case. I went down the road to Ocean Divers and the fill operator even offered the use of his O2 tester to see where my tank was.

some of the shops around here require it. I try to avoid them although they know who I am so they'll usually fill if I ask nicely... I have an O2 clean VIP sticker which is usually good at most places. I'll stick a thing of painters tape on there to appease them if necessary

To ostentatious no requirement.

Pulled my doubles apart and took them in for a hydro and a clean one day.

The bill blew me a third hole, in my pocket.

They kindly removed the monstrosities.

And they filled them for what the stickers would have cost when I took the
tanks back assembled.

My pocket was whole again.

Just an IANTD or TDI cleaned with date sticker.

We have yearly hydro's VIP inclusive.

BASIC question that I have heard both answers to yes and no.

Do you need to have a Nitrox Label on your tanks to get them filled and what not.

You say to "get them filled and what not".

I always wonder 1) why people feel the need to write "what not" and 2) what is really meant by the "what not"?

In this case there's nothing else to do besides fill the tanks so the "what not" seems superfluous, am I right?

My dive shop requires some kind of marking. They're not picky- the airspeed 'voodoo gas' or 'darwin' stickers work for them.

Looking at the way they fill, it makes sense. Most of their tanks will never ever see anything but air, having those clearly (un)marked speeds up the fills (no analysis needed).
Having a permanent nitrox sticker on the others mark it for additional checks - including 'why is this tank lacking a content sticker' - even when it ends up getting an air fill.

The alternative would be an 'air only' sticker on all air tanks.

I'm more than willing to get an extra sticker on my tank for the prices I'm getting.

You say to "get them filled and what not".

I always wonder 1) why people feel the need to write "what not" and 2) what is really meant by the "what not"?

In this case there's nothing else to do besides fill the tanks so the "what not" seems superfluous, am I right?

Sure:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom