Nitrox or Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xpress

Reaction score
Hi, I have been considering getting certified for Nitrox, but do not know which method of tank fills is better?
I have seen alot of info on DNAx, any one have any advice, good bad, ugly, also where can I buy a system?

Not too entirely clear on your question. Are you wanting to buy a filling system?

Lots of shops simply bank large tanks full of EAN32 and EAN36. I preffer a shop that will blend whatever mix you want to suit the diving you will be doing(assuming its under your training experience).

I hope that answers atleast a portion of your question.

Welcome to ScubaBoard

Sorry if I wasnt clear!

What are the benefits/disadvantages between DNAx and EANx?

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as DNAx.

You should learn about the various methods (banked, partial pressure) of creating Nitrox in your class.

EANx stands for "Enriched Air Nitrox of x%." For example, EAN32 is nitrox with 32% oxygen.

From what I can find DNAx is a method of filling, Denitrogenated fills.vs introducing oxygen to the tank, you are just removing nitrogen to make the oxygen content different.

Whether you remove nitrogen or add oxygen, regardless, you get the same air fill. Example, if you want a 32% fill, you set it up for 42% whether you use either method.

Perhaps you were asking what the advantages of Nitrox was over "regular air".

Basically, diving Nitrox lowered your nitrogen levels in your body which increased your "No Decompression Limits" which means you get longer dive times. You still
use your air/gas consumption at the same rate regardless of what you breath.
Some will say though that diving Nitrox will not make you as tired as you are
breathing more oxygen into your body. I am one of those who also agree
with this. I'm not as tired after I dive nitrox.

The real advantage of Nitrox is if you're doing deeper dives (over 60 feet) and
doing repetitive diving, like you would on a Liveaboard where you might easily
do 4 to 6 (or more) dives per day. Nitrox keeps your nitrogen levels down
which in turn increased your NDL for these repetitive dives.

One last benifit about the Nitrox class is that if you feel you didn't spend
enough time on your dive tables in your open water class, then it's a great
class for tables because you work them a lot in this class.

hope all that helps.

-Mike

Gotcha.

Its just another way to Partial Pressure Blend. They basically filter nitrogen out of the gas through a membrane, leaving oxygen to get a desired oxygen content. I really don't know which is better - I'm sure both work fine. Our shop has a membrane, but doesn't use it. They blend the gas in the tanks by adding the gasses seperately.

Xpress:
I have seen alot of info on DNAx, any one have any advice, good bad, ugly, also where can I buy a system?
As a diver rather than a nitrox supplier, it doesn't matter much. The end result is the same mix.

The only advantage to DNAx or membrane systems is that you can fill tanks that haven't been O2 cleaned.

With the partial pressure method of blending nitrox, 100% O2 is used with air to get the right O2 content. SInce 100% O2 is used, the tanks needs to be O2 cleaned.

ya know, I've never seen anything on a tank that says whether it was o2 cleaned or not. You'd figure that the 'partial blenders' would want to know this before they dumped pure 100% o2 into a tank.

is there any system for this?

Usually the VIP stickers are differnet and will say something on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom