Nitrox Wear On BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have owned the Mares Dragon with Air Trim BCD for a little over a year now. Only recently I read the owners manuel and it says that I should not use my BC with with any mix greater than 21% because it will wear the BC prematurely. It also says that you can have your BC serviced for use with Nitrox. I am assuming they mean o2 cleaned like a Nitrox tank. The manuel says if I get my BC serviced for Nitrox and then use it with air I will have to get it surviced for Nitrox again. Does any of this sound correct. I have never heard of someone having their BC o2 cleaned before.

So there I was at 100ft and decided to put a little Nitrox into my BC, there was this loud bang and a flash of light, my BC exploded. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I might be wrong, but I really doubt this is possible, you need heat,O2,combustible material, but mostly the stuff should be dry and it is almost never dry in my BC. I do not know if the material in your BC is made from something combustible but I do not think the rubber in your average BC is, now wearing due to high O2? well the most that people usually dive is 36% some might dive with more but they are usually using it to decompress with and it is in a separate bottle. seems like a line of bull, but I am not a paid engineer so what do I know.

Higher O2 levels can deteriorate some types of o-rings faster than exposure to plain old 21% air.....

If this is real, the "service for Nitrox" most likely includes changing o-rings and potentially some other rubber items (????)....

Of course why you would need it re-serviced if air is put in BC escapes me.....

For tanks "re-cleaning" makes some sense as "plain air" might not be clean enough for the initial 100% oxygen fill which is how most Nitrox tanks are blended.......

If you fill Nitrox tanks using "clean" air then re-cleaning is not required...........

Hope this helps.......M

This is a first I have heard this. I have put 40% in my BC (bp/w) and it's not wore out, nor have I ever had it O2 cleaned, or viton o-rings installed (o-rings on the dump valves).

Sounds like an overpaid non-diver :confused: tech writer wrote that manual using cut and paste/search and replace from a tank/tank valve manual. :shakehead:

Makes perfect sense! To a manufacturer supporting its dealers.

Wow, the LDS gets to service your BCD at every gas change . . . Nice. . . capitalism at its finest. And since it is being 'serviced', you know it cannot be any major parts or anything major -- an "O"-ring or two? Dang fine idea for an LDS to support Mares . . .

:rofl3:

The fact of the matter is that in the presence of pure O2 rubber does have a tendency to deteriorate more rapidly.

But, as all the good statisticians say, in your case it's "statistically insignificant".

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom