Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessicaDodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I am planning on getting Nitrox certified sometime within the next couple of months and it's too late to call the dive shop. I was just wondering if anyone knows about how long an SSI nitrox class usually is?

Jessica

of people doing it in just one day. Some places will let you do it along with another cert. From what I've heard it's just teaching you how to do the Nitrox "stuff", and a dive is not mandatory. You might have to pick up a book and study ahead of time.

Thanks, I know they require a dive but I was thinking it was a one night class and the dive. But I wasn't sure..

Jessica

I got mine from technical divers international. all I had to do was take home a book, do an open book test. it was pretty self-explanatory. and when I turned it in, the instructor just showed me how to use the analyzer and explained filling.

pretty easy, the important thing is understanding the tables.

SSI will require about a one to two hour class. The dives are basically a formality after that.

You will find the actual class pretty easy, I do believe. The test is open book and our dive shop makes the students watch a video on Nitrox, do a few dive table problems, and analyze tanks of nitrox.

My SSI Nitrox usually runs about 3 hours.

We don't require you to do a dive because the actual dive is practically the same as diving with air. The meat of the course is learning tables, why O2 can be as harmful as much as it is helpful, and how to plan for your dives. If someone really wants to do a EANx dive, I'll be glad to take them on my next dive. If they want a special dive then that can be arranged but that one will probably cost them a bit.

The PADI course is one evening (3 - 3.5 hours) followed by two dives on Nitrox.

Since there are no skills requirements for the dives, we try to make them fun dives to an interesting site.

Back
Top Bottom