No buddy, no help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Everyone who gets certified is taught several times and ways that buddy diving is a must. To most divers it's a no brainer. Sometimes the experienced and over condident diver has a tendancy to cheat on the ABC's. My friend was working with a company who was, of all things treasure hunting. The dive crew used leaded boots instead of fins. I wasn't on the boat that day when he decided to free up a stubborn anchor by himself. He jumped into the water, sank straight down and drown. The legal issues made it hard to know exactly what happened but it was clear enough had he followed the basics of diving he would still be with us. We may make thousands of dives and yet still never know on which one we will be required to help or need the help ourselves. Never fail to buddy up.:depressed:

Lead boots make me think surface supplied of some sort...

---------- Post added May 13th, 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

Either that or mafia diving...

Everyone who gets certified is taught several times and ways that buddy diving is a must. To most divers it's a no brainer.

The beginners answer isn't "never solo dive" it's "you, the beginner, should never solo dive".

PS- The Basic Scuba Discussions group is supposed to be a flame free, no trolling zone. As such, I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that some of us don't have a brain and assert that we should always buddy up. That's simply not the position of many agencies today.

Everyone who gets certified is taught several times and ways that buddy diving is a must. To most divers it's a no brainer. Sometimes the experienced and over condident diver has a tendancy to cheat on the ABC's. My friend was working with a company who was, of all things treasure hunting. The dive crew used leaded boots instead of fins. I wasn't on the boat that day when he decided to free up a stubborn anchor by himself. He jumped into the water, sank straight down and drown. The legal issues made it hard to know exactly what happened but it was clear enough had he followed the basics of diving he would still be with us. We may make thousands of dives and yet still never know on which one we will be required to help or need the help ourselves. Never fail to buddy up.:depressed:

Are you suggesting the "Buddy" is a sure cure for stupid? Like maybe a buddy would keep a diver from going to 275 feet. Maybe there are some very reliable buddies that could do that but I have not seen many lately. Have you?

Adventure-ocean, perhaps you have a lot to offer but if I may, suggest you first read lots of other posts to help you determine when, where and how best to make those offerings.

So he jumped in without a cylinder and regulator? Is that defined as "diving" without a buddy?

-or-

If he had a working rig and jumped in, what prevented him from taking his boots off and swimming to the surface?

I think you are trying to stress diving with a buddy, but I am having trouble finding support for that with the example you have given.

I'm looking at this post and cant for the life of me figure out: #1what a difference a buddy would have made ?#2 is it considered Rec Scuba with "lead boots"?#3 If it was surface supplied couldnt somebody(crew) pull a rope or hose to stop his sudden decent ? All in all this post feels like a troll or for some of the more calloused "Darwinism" in full effect...

Back
Top Bottom