No Computer Hire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble doctor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

So currently looking at diving in Malta, but looking at a few sites computer hire doesn't necessarily seem automatically included in 'full gear hire' (not taking my gear with me due to extensive travel - and coming from Australia). Just wondering if this is common? No way I'm diving without a computer, and was expecting they'd be available for hire.

Thanks!

Hi, bubble doctor.
unfortunately it's happened all the time. For most of dive operators "full gear hire" means you have to pay an extra fee for the computer. Better to always travel with your computer. Wear it at your wrist in the plane and everybody will be impressed :)

Hi, bubble doctor.
unfortunately it's happened all the time. For most of dive operators "full gear hire" means you have to pay an extra fee for the computer. Better to always travel with your computer. Wear it at your wrist in the plane and everybody will be impressed :)

Thanks Andrei. I have a console computer and can't afford a wrist one yet :/ Might be able to pop it out I'll see. As long as they offer them for hire I'm ok, I was just worried I'd get there and they'd all say 'no you can't hire one full stop!' :)

usually is something like 15euro/day for a computer. If you plan to dive more days, maybe you could obtain a better price

just take your regs if you're that worried. they don't take up that much space.

I have two hockey puck computers. They are always with me on dives. Take little room and are light weight. I find console computers a PITA compared to wrist mount.

"In airliners, cabin altitude during flight is kept above sea level in order to reduce stress on the pressurized part of the fuselage; this stress is proportional to the difference in pressure inside and outside the cabin. In a typical commercial passenger flight, the cabin altitude is programmed to rise gradually from the altitude of the airport of origin to a regulatory maximum of 8,000 ft (2,400 m). This cabin altitude is maintained while the aircraft is cruising at its maximum altitude and then reduced gradually during descent until the cabin pressure matches the ambient air pressure at the destination. The cabin altitude of the Boeing 767 is typically about 6,900 feet (2,100 m) when cruising at 39,000 feet (12,000 m). This is typical for older jet airliners. A design goal for many, but not all, newer aircraft is to provide a lower cabin altitude than older designs." ("Commercial Airliner Environmental Control System: Engineering Aspects of Cabin Air Quality")

So the computer will show some residual nitrogen, similar with what is happening when you surfaced from a dive. I saw this when I wore my computer and drove up to the mountains.

+1 on use personal regs. You know their history and their condition. Last thing you need is to PAY to use someones leaking prepuked in regulator.

No opinion on the computer both of my computers are wrist mounts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom