No Cylinder Boots for DIR...even on Single Steels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Trying to get behind the logic here. Is it because people like to stand their cylinders up between dives...?

Is it because because if the cylinders aren't fresh-dunked after a dive, cylinder boots can invite rusting?

Are boots some sort of perceived entanglement hazard?

Is it because they've started making Pink Boots? (thankfully, not for steel tanks....!)

I ran throught the GUE site - nothing.

Curious...

Ken

What use is the boot on the dive?
None.
Therefore, leave it behind.
If you want to put it on after the dive as a tank stand, that's fine.
E. itajara (not DIR but understand the reasoning)

Boots collect water - increases the chance for rust...even with thorough rinsing. You really don't need them anyway, just lay them down.

From what i understand is that if you dont need it dont take it.DIR is about simplicity.It is also said to add drag by messing up your slipstream.I do store my single steel tanks in the boots so they stand in the corner but remove them for diving and clean and dry everything before i place the boots back on.Lucky for me my boots go on and off very easily.

never tried to pull one off before...

Hmmmm

I stand the cyinders up at home for storage, so I need the boots then for sure.

If I'm sitting the cylinder on the rail or the dive boat, or the seat of the boat and sort of chicken-winging into the BP harness, if the boot isn't there the cylinder its self is sitting on the rail, seat (or wall or bench)... how can resting the cylinder on whatever holding station possibly be better for it than keeping the boot on?

K

As EZ said, removing the boot is to reduce corrosion. Yes, you will be resting your tank on the rail/seat/whatever when you put it on. But that just means you'll need to be a bit more careful with the tank--which is a good thing.

You'll find the stuff about removing the boot at the GUE satellite site known as a book entitled "Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving."

The boot as others mentioned can increase corrosion/rust. As for standing on end... tanks stood on end with a boot in an area with traffic or unsteady surface is bad practice as they have a very good chance of falling over, so most of those locations either have or should tank racks of some sort to meathod to secure the tank making the boot/stand argument a moot point. If you can't secure the tank in the upright postion in those circumstances, then you shouldn't leave it standing...

Using a boot at home for storage in a closet where nothing is going to bump into it is fine, but you don't need the boot on the tank full time for that benefit. I'd rather put in some sort of tank rack for home storage as well personally as if it fell over in the closet it would probably because I was standing there getting out a long coat or something and it would probably fall only my leg/foot, which would make me sad.

In the end, if you are willing to chance the increased rust/corrosion factor either by more inspections, more intensive water flushing/drying, possibly purchacing a new tank sooner than a tankless boot and having the boot on full time is more convenient for your specific circumstance, then keep the boot on.

I have heard of dive boats that insist on a boot to protect the boat from damage. Other than that I don't need one while diving and it can be a snag hazard.

Back
Top Bottom