My Introduction to Sidemount Diving, as well as Training and Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I don't think taking the class is about the "pass", as much as it is about the experience and knowledge that will make me a better diver. I want to get really confident in a BM single before moving to twins...
OctoHelm

You sound like an unusually mature and self aware 16 year old. With that attitude, I'm sure you will do very well as a diver.

Since you said you work in a shop, I imagine you have some mechanical ability. I would urge you to spend some time on the regulator and DIY forums, get the Vance Harlow book on regulator repair, and maybe consider getting a MK10 and 109 (metal case 2nd stage). They shouldn't cost more than $100 together, in good shape. There are people on the board who will give you excellent advice at no cost. You can learn about working on these regs for much less than the cost of buying a single set of new high quality regs. The reason I would recommend getting into regulator service is simple; money and peace of mind. Once you understand how these devices work, you see how simple they are and how there is a huge amount of hype and salesmanship in the marketing of new regulators, and the servicing of them. One of the best dive-related decisions I ever made was learning to service my own regs; I have literally saved thousands of dollars over the years and I dive with the knowledge that my regs are serviced correctly and carefully. I can easily fix problems on a dive trip when they come up, which is not often. Equally important, it's really fun to get into the mechanics of how they work.

You sound like an unusually mature and self aware 16 year old. With that attitude, I'm sure you will do very well as a diver.

Thank you so much! I get that sometimes, but the kind words are always nice to hear!

I do think that I will look into that though. I've always been one to like working with my hands, so I will look around to see what I can figure out and learn. That peace of mind seems like a very nice thing to have as well! It's knowing that I did the job right, and that I have the skills to repair my reg system if necessary. The money savings seem to be the cherry on top too!

Thank you again for the kind words! :)

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom