Question Too early to consider tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Wreck(ed)Diver

Wreck(ed)Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys!

My lofty goal is to get my first tec certification in a year or so. I dive a lot and already have a solid understanding of the math behind my dive computer, GFs, and decompression theory in general. However I only have about 30 dives and AOW/Nitrox L2. In between now and then, I will be taking an AAUS underwater science class, working a research diving job, getting my drysuit cert, TAing a scuba class, and of course more diving.

Now my plan for getting into tec is to get my rescue diver cert, then take a technical foundations class, (maybe sidemount) and then finally take my first XR class.

Am I rushing things too much? I feel comfortable at my level and of course will stop if I noticeably get ahead of myself but I would greatly appreciate advice from more hardcore divers who have already been through this.

Thanks for the advice!!

Way, way too early. Stop taking so many courses ( well except the drysuit thing. Thats important in Mass,) Just dive more within your current training limits Look at the fish. Look at stuff. Enjoy where you are now. Revisit the tech goals in 2 years.
Hi guys!

My lofty goal is to get my first tec certification in a year or so. I dive a lot and already have a solid understanding of the math behind my dive computer, GFs, and decompression theory in general. However I only have about 30 dives and AOW/Nitrox L2. In between now and then, I will be taking an AAUS underwater science class, working a research diving job, getting my drysuit cert, TAing a scuba class, and of course more diving.

Now my plan for getting into tec is to get my rescue diver cert, then take a technical foundations class, (maybe sidemount) and then finally take my first XR class.

Am I rushing things too much? I feel comfortable at my level and of course will stop if I noticeably get ahead of myself but I would greatly appreciate advice from more hardcore divers who have already been through this.

Thanks

In my opinion, I think that going for technical class early is good or bad depends on the quality of instructor teaching you. I think you should find a good technical instructor and trained with him/her as soon as possible before bad practice becomes bad habit. Practice makes permanent not perfect.

For me, I did GUE fundamental class when I had 75 dives. I tried to go for tech pass, but no one have ever taught me how to do a properly frog kick (I thought "This is probably right" and stick with it), so it became problem when my instructor tried to correct me (bad muscle memory). Obviously, I did not pass but I did learn lots of stuffs that I wish someone taught me when I trained for open water certification (ex. forward/backward frog kick etc.)

However, if you think you're able to evaluate and practice your diving skill every time you dive. There is no need to take technical class early. I talk about this because of my friend who took GUE fundamental that the same time as me. He usually practiced and perfected propulsion techniques whenever he dives. When we took the class, he needs little adjustment to perfect the technique.

I think that a nice benchmark is being comfortable at the "going diving" thing. Suppose that a diver who just finished their open water asked you to go diving in your local quarry or for a shore dive to practice some skills as a buddy pair.

Would you know where to go, where to get gear and would you be comfortable being underwater with someone very inexperienced? Or would you be scared because you only dived abroad during a class or with a divemaster on guided dives?

I wouldn't bother with tech classes until you are comfortable doing unguided dives to 30 meters, with people who are less experienced than you are. Usually a rescue class + having about 100 dives works well.

And for the record: Fundies or Intro to tech is not a tech class, it's just remedial recreational training :)

I think it depends on how much open water diving you're planning on doing this year. 20-30 dives? Probably too soon, especially if you first need to get a drysuit, plus some doubles/sidemount experience. I went for an ITT class a few years ago at around 50-60 dives and my inexperience really showed. I was told to practice more, especially trim and buoyancy. 150 dives later I'm much better now but would like another 30-50 dives in a drysuit and doubles before going for AN/DP.

If you're planning on getting in 100-200 dives this year then I don't think next year is too soon.

Either way I don't think it's ever a bad idea to engage a competent instructor to go through the basics of trim, buoyancy, propulsion and some task loading (shooting smb, valve drills). I had a great time during my ITT and my instructor corrected some bad habits and it has definitely made me a more competent diver.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the advice!!
where in Mass are you? I highly recommend getting plugged in with @macado when he's back from MX.

Also, no offense, but the vast majority of AAUS classes are a joke unless you have a DSO that comes from a technical diving background. Better than 95% of AAUS divers you would never recognize as being an AAUS diver in the wild, they look exactly like any other recreational diver, which is to say, not that great.... Not their fault, AAUS is more like a loose governing body and the training is left up to the DSO's who are almost always recreational instructors who got a job at a university many of whom have no technical training at all.

ASAP, I would recommend trying to take that technical fundamentals class, the sooner you take it, the less bad habits the instructor is going to have to break. Reach out to Heather Knowles and/or David Caldwell who are in the north shore and can help you more directly.

ASAP, I would recommend trying to take that technical fundamentals class, the sooner you take it, the less bad habits the instructor is going to have to break. Reach out to Heather Knowles and/or David Caldwell who are in the north shore and can help you more directly.
This. I can't tell you how much easier it is to break bad habits earlier.

Actually, yes, I can. It's a hell of a lot easier to break those habits. That means it's less frustrating for you, and ultimately cheaper for you since you should be paying for tech training by the day.

Seem kinda silly, to say that someone can't learn about nitrox and deco, without first mastering a frog kick.
Nitrox - you can and should do it right after open water.

Deco - not really, you first need the basics. You need a solid back kick, helicopter turn and ability to hold a stop when things happen. Otherwise you cannot maintain position with your team on ascent or when helping someone solve a failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom