No Limit verses Remaining Bottom Time (RBT)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about using time average depth for sanity check throughout the dive to compare against computer? This has been working very well for me

Actually, I like my sanity check to be brain-dead easy. I only want one NDL to remember as a backstop, and not to do any mental calculations during the dive. I like your idea though. For my wreck example, I know I will be between 120 and 75, with more time towards the shallower. So, say 90' average. Then get the NDL at 90' on my mix and use that as a (very rough) check against the computer. This way, I have one clear number as a baseline. Also, since I do try to hit deepest first, if the computer shows the correct NDL at 90' on my way down, I expect it is operating properly and don't really do the mental double checking much further.

It rapidly gets too complicated otherwise. If (just throwing numbers) I am 3 minutes at 120, 5 minutes at 90, 10 mins at 75, 3 mins at 100, 5 mins at 75, I can't possibly "average" that out and get an NDL in my head without consulting tables or majorly distracting myself from the dive. If I had a computer that showed average depth, it would be easy, but then I would be relying on the very thing I want to double-check.

Since I have a Scubapro computer, I think I am going to purchase a cheaper Aladin 2G (same brand, algorithm and implementation) and put it in a DSS mount and just wear it all the time as a back-up. This would eliminate pretty much all concerns and give the bonus that if one computer gets hinky I can use the other one to surface and continue diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom