no local dive shop and i need ranger parts. please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11x

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hello. i just bought a ranger bc and am wanting to use it for doubled steel lp 95's. i dont have a local dive shop to walk into to get the parts or to make sure i get everything i need. can someone direct me to the parts and some guidence as to what all i am going to need? thanks

Call ScubaToys. Not only will they be able to get the parts you need, but they'll be able to tell you exactly WHAT you need for what you want to do.

What DiveMaven said.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recomend the Ranger as a world class BC for use with a single tank, but not for use with steel 8" diameter tanks.
You will spend the money setting up the Ranger for doubles and then switch to a BP/Wing in the end anyway.
You could use the 44" Ranger bladder on an Aluminum plate if your diving almost exclusively doubles. You might be better served by owning two rigs.

i have never used a bp/w nor do i know anyone who ownes one. i do alot of solo diving and the doubles would give me a lot more bottom time without having to change tanks. i have a jacket style bc wich i dread to dive in open water but it makes a great bc for helping my instructer friends in pool sessions with students. i also have a black diamond bc that i usaly use for diving singles. i got the ranger cheap and had planed to use it as my doubles rig. i hate to buy a bp/w not knowing if i like it or not. i knew i could use the ranger for other things if it didnt make a good doubles rig.

Not really.

If your 95s are doubled up already - you CERTAINLY DO NOT NEED the zeagle backplate. Any standard backplate will work fine. DEpending on the year of your ranger - all you need are the short straps to keep the bladder attached to the rest of the BC. Right now - the tank bands weave through both ane keep everything together - when you pull them out you will replace them with 2 short straps. Then attach the BP and tanks as usual and you are good to go.

I dive with a few guys that use tech and/or ranger for their doubled HP 119s (basically a HP version of a LP95). Ive seen them make at least 30 dives this summer and they love the setup.

I have a ranger that I use for single tank diving, and Ive tried it with doubles - but I was talked into a BP/W for doubles. I like my BP/W better for doubles - but its not that huge of a margin. The 3 guys I dive with swear by their BC.

To each his own I guess.

I'd follow Capt. Gene's advice. Seriously. Double lp 95's are beasts for me. How many doubles dives have you done? Who is helping you set this up? Where in SE Ohio are you? There are shops in Southern Ohio and West Virginia. And Columbus is less than 2 hours from anywhere in the state. I used to live there. Columbus Scuba could be invaluable to you. The owner, Andy Silverman is an IANTD Tech Instructor.

Why do you need the extra bottom time? Is there some pressing need and what depths are you planning on? Because below 50-60 feet there will definitely be enough gas in those cylinders (unless you're a real air hog) to get you into trouble. Are you trained in deco procedures?

What type of exposure suit are you wearing and will the wing that you have be enough lift for those tanks with the rest of your gear?

You say that you have instructor friends you help out in the pool. So are you a DM? Are they helping you set this up and will they at least mentor you? Finally why could you not just pump the 95's up to 3000 and then you'd have 108's.

I am 2 hours from Columbus. I don't need any weight when I dive my 5 mill. Maby a few pounds just in the event I have a situation that I need to dump weight and become buoyant . No I usually stay about the 30 ft mark and I can get about 70 min or so out of a single tank. When I dive solo I usually dive my way around the quarries. I like to start at the entry point the dive my way around the perimeter 30 min or so then surface, hang out for 10 - 15 min or so then continue around the quarrie for another 30 min or so . This always leaves me a long surface swim back to the truck. I feal the doubles will allow me to enjoy diving my local quarrie more. No I am not a dive master just IANTD rescue and padi master diver. I was taught to only fill my tanks to the manufacture recommended fill pressure. How far over pressure do you recommend filling scuba tanks Jim? The tanks are not doubled yet and I don't have a backplate. And thanks to all for your input.

What type of exposure suit are you wearing and will the wing that you have be enough lift for those tanks with the rest of your gear?

You probably know this - althought the 95s are a beast on land - once in the water they exhibit almost the same buoyancy characteristics as an hp100.

I dive doubled up 95s and a pair of PST 100's. I like carrying the 100s better (on land) - but once in the water - I'll take the 95's all day long. Especially with dive shops willing to fill them higher than the rated 2640.

Back
Top Bottom