No longer a Great Lakes/boat/wreck virgin!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Haha! Knew that title would get your attention! :D

As of yesterday, I am no longer a Great Lakes/boat/wreck dive virgin! :D Dove 2 wrecks on DRIS' boat Sun Dog out of Hammond, IN. We dove the David Dows (45ft deep, only 5 masted & largest wooden schooner ever built on the Lakes, sunk 1889) and the Material Service Barge (40 ft deep, went down in 1936 with 15 people). The MSB is 240ft long and we swam around that whole puppy!

We had great conditions - lots of sunshine, light winds, 1ft waves. Water was 56F at 45ft. I was toasty in my new 5mm. Ironically, it's warmer than the local quarry (still 45F at 45ft). :wink:

Got some great pics and vid.

Fin on ladders are da bomb.

Buoyancy was pretty decent, probably because I had something interesting to look at and didn't overly concentrate on it! :D

Carried my pony and had no issues with it since I dive with it at the quarry frequently.

Lake Huron is in a bit less than a month.

Awesome! Glad you had some nice dives!

GOPR0545.JPG

Yes, I look at this pic and can tick off the number of things that I'm doing wrong. They will come and are being worked on. So no need to get into them. However, this is a really neat pic with the wreck in the background. :D I'm having fun, I'm safe, and I've not killed myself or buddy. :rofl3:

Congrats! Lake Michigan is an awesome place to dive, and it looks like you had great visibility! I was up in Door County yesterday and the viz was under 10 feet.

Congrats! Lake Michigan is an awesome place to dive, and it looks like you had great visibility! I was up in Door County yesterday and the viz was under 10 feet.

Viz on the Dows was 25 ft or maybe a bit more. Less on the MSB.

Awesome. Congrats. I am still trying to get out there to do a dive or two as work brings me to Hammond every few months. I have to be back before the end of September so maybe we can get one in when I am there. Nice vis. You should dive NJ.....

Good for you. I've read several of your posts, although I rarely comment. It's been fun to see your progression... keep diving and posting!

Awesome. Congrats. I am still trying to get out there to do a dive or two as work brings me to Hammond every few months. I have to be back before the end of September so maybe we can get one in when I am there. Nice vis. You should dive NJ.....

Let me know! The boat runs until the first weekend in October, I think.

Back
Top Bottom