No Night Diving in Coz??? Aaaaaaargh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK...I just posted a new post afterour meeting with the marine park. We decided not to waste any time on getting these issues cleared up. Our trips were cancelled today due to the weather, so it was the perfect opportunity!

Please see post entitled Cozumel WILMA regulations: Straight from the Marine Park

redhatmama:
I think I'll postpone my trip. I'm not blacklisting Cozmel by any means, but I don't like the idea of selective enforcement in foreign countries. The wording of the official statement with its ambiguity and talk of federal ofense makes me uneasy. I would be very interested in Lilycat's account when she returns.

A bad of diving in Cozumel is no better than a bad day of diving in Cayman Brac.
"A bad of diving in Cozumel is no better than a bad day of diving in Cayman Brac."

Beg to differ......Cayman Brac is gorgeous but it has very little to offer topside (limited food/drink choices), there are no direct flights, and it is anything but cheap.

Amy WJ:
"A bad of diving in Cozumel is no better than a bad day of diving in Cayman Brac."

Beg to differ......Cayman Brac is gorgeous but it has very little to offer topside (limited food/drink choices), there are no direct flights, and it is anything but cheap.

Yes, Cayman Brac is a long haul like Bonaire, but that's part of the adventure. I could care less about food/drink choices. Yes, it is more expensive. But I have a limited amount of time to dive and I want to maximize it. I have no intention of blacklisting Cozumel. I will probably go back in the late spring. I haven't yet decided what I'll do for January.

Coming late to this particular party, but that never stopped me.

My $.02: For those of you who have been diving with Christi before, I have a feeling these new rules will have little functional change (other than 2nd tank site selection). Why? Because she and her crew have ALWAYS worked to keep those with poor control off the reef and respected those who respected the reef. Not to mention don't harass the critters just in hopes of a larger tip.

Just another reason to give your business to those operations who don't need the government to tell them how to protect the reef... before or after hurricanes.

Am coming back to Cozumel in December and cannot wait! Oh yes, and will have camera in hand :) (Might leave the macro lens home, however.) Am I disappointed that some sites are closed? You bet! I was going to request to try to find the Tormentos Seahorses again. I just pray they're safe and have found a comfy home post-Wilma.

BurBunny:
I was going to request to try to find the Tormentos Seahorses again. I just pray they're safe and have found a comfy home post-Wilma.
When we were down in August (post-Emily) Pedro found them for us again... it was the 1st time he had seen them since Emily - they were about 20 feet apart. It was soooo cute to see his happy dance. Let's pray they are safe (and still together).

Here is a pic of them in June (pre-Emily). I feel blessed to have gotten a pic of them together.
BurBunny:
My $.02: For those of you who have been diving with Christi before, I have a feeling these new rules will have little functional change (other than 2nd tank site selection). Why? Because she and her crew have ALWAYS worked to keep those with poor control off the reef and respected those who respected the reef. Not to mention don't harass the critters just in hopes of a larger tip.

I couldn't agree with you more... Christi is our choice as well but there are plenty of other reputable shops that will treat you with respect if you can demonstrate that you will treat the reef with respect.

Moodiejeff:
When we were down in August (post-Emily) Pedro found them for us again... it was the 1st time he had seen them since Emily - they were about 20 feet apart. It was soooo cute to see his happy dance. Let's pray they are safe (and still together).

Was fortunate to see them both together a week after Emily. Pedro and I looked for them again later in the week and couldn't find them (though another group did). It was a happy day for me, too, when I saw them there that soon after Emily!

I couldn't agree with you more... Christi is our choice as well but there are plenty of other reputable shops that will treat you with respect if you can demonstrate that you will treat the reef with respect.

Absolutely agree with that, which is why I said it was important to give business to "those operations" who have always respected the reef AND worked to help their diver guests become better, more responsible divers so they can better enjoy the reefs and their dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom