no nitrogen breathing gas ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woody88:
We are not talking about saturation or commercial diving. This is a discussion about rec/tech diving.
Neither do I. Long exposure is let's say 30 minutes and it's in range of rec/tech.

Woody88:
Yes you will but the point was the more HE in the mix the more this will be an issue. Obviously a 30% mix will have less distortion than a 79% heliox mix.
I'm not sure about that. Personaly, I don't hear much difference between 35% and 70% of He in mix.

Woody88:
HE does have more of a cooling effect on the body. Take a look at this article.

http://www.scuba-doc.com/HPNS.html
That's why I highly apreciate Rick's opinion: you can't learn diving on Internet. I gave you an explanation about two efects when breathing He and you qoute me an artical which explains only one. There's no substitute for real course and that's why there's no point of discussing such things on the net.

Edit: I saw from your profile that you were trimix certified. Than you should be familiar with my explanation of total termal loss for air and He based mixes.

From what i understand, and this is only from talking to a trimix user (someday I too shall be one, but not today), the major difference between Nitrogen and He is the depth at which deco stops will be made. He deco is deeper deco, and that's about it. At some point I know my limited molecular chemistry knowledge gave me greater understanding of this, but it has since alluded me.

Most people make that same mistake. It's nice to see some of you stand up and make certain corrections, when there are technical, or scientific inaccuracies being posted. People learn, either way, right or wrong. When people are presented correct information, the learn the right way, when they are presented with incorrect information, they learn also, the wrong way!! I prefere to learn the right way, and have been diving safely for thirty- five years! Keep up the good eye!....Capt. Tom

MonkSeal:
Neither do I. Long exposure is let's say 30 minutes and it's in range of rec/tech.

On a 30 minute exposure of either air/low HE mix versus Heliox you will have more deco. And without gas switching for accelerated deco you will have WAY MORE deco. Run the tables on Deco Planner and you will see.

MonkSeal:
That's why I highly appreciate Rick's opinion: you can't learn diving on Internet. I gave you an explanation about two effects when breathing He and you quote me an article which explains only one. There's no substitute for real course and that's why there's no point of discussing such things on the net.

Edit: I saw from your profile that you were trimix certified. Than you should be familiar with my explanation of total termal loss for air and He based mixes.

Yes I am trimix certified. And from the looks of it you recently completed DIR fundamentals and are not mix certified. You are the one who needs to take the class and learn about the technicalities of it. That is why I did my tech training through NAUI and TDI. Although I think IANTD is probably the best training.

BTW, what were the two effects? Heat loss through HE in suit inflation? Everyone would agree to that. Been there, done that, and it is damn cold. That is why I carry argon.

<quote of deleted text removed by Snowbear>

Yeah,... that's productive.

Breathing helium based mixtures will not make you colder. Helium has a much lower specific heat than air/nitrogen/O2 and therefore will remove LESS heat from your body than air with every breath. Helium is more thermally conductive and will remove heat from your suit much faster.

Woody88:
Yes I am trimix certified. And from the looks of it you recently completed DIR fundamentals and are not mix certified.
It's my mistake - I haven't updated my profile. Regarding DIR-F it hasn't been recently.

Woody88:
You are the one who needs to take the class and learn about the technicalities of it.
Obviously you class hasn't taught you a lot.

<quote of deleted text removed by Snowbear>
You also need a class of communication and decent manners. I believe that ScubaBoard is not a place for such level of communication. Your post has been reported to moderators.

Woody88:
GUE's are militant and not taught to think outside the box anyways.
You obviously haven't met any GUE instructor and you don't have any clue about GUE classes. And I don't understand what GUE has with you not understanding basics of physics and physiology.

Woody88:
BTW, what were the two effects?
Although some people are not worth of words I'll qoute it again. If you can understand it - good for you.

MonkSeal:
He mix will be colder than air when entering the lungs due to heat loss from cylinder to lungs (lower molecular density of He - better heat transmition). But due to grater density air can conduct more heat over a relative volume of gas contributing more to core heat loss then He based mix. These two efects seem to counteract one another giving the similar termal loss for both air and trimix.

Woody88 - according to ToS personal attacks are not allowed. MonkSeal also - please stay within ToS.
Mania
PS. BTW - He as a breathing gas doesn't make your body cold - MonkSeal is right.

mania:
Woody88 - according to ToS personal attacks are not allowed. MonkSeal also - please stay within ToS.
Mania
PS. BTW - He as a breathing gas doesn't make your body cold - MonkSeal is right.
Thanks Maria - solved with Snowbear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom