No Rabid Otters this time, Blue Spring Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last Year it was rabid otters, this year its bacteria! Blue Spring, Orange City, Florida is closed due to contaminated water. Yep! The spring is full of bacteria, which probably accounts for my two recent ear infections! Closed now until at least next Monday August first. Stay tuned for more information

Sure it wasnt just kids peeing in the pool near the testing kits???? :wink:

If its been going on a while, maybe that's where i got mine from last year?

simbrooks:
Sure it wasnt just kids peeing in the pool near the testing kits???? :wink:

If its been going on a while, maybe that's where i got mine from last year?
I got a couple nasty ear infections as well about a month or so back.
hrmmm

The LDS owner who told me about this today said the same thing happened last year, but I don't recall hearing about that. Does anyone have knowledge of this happening in the past? If so, when, how often, and for how long? Any ideas (other than Simon's) as to why?

I know that Gemini Springs, which is maybe 5-6 miles away, seems to be perpetually closed to swimming because of bacteria levels, but some have said that this is due to the cow dooky that had built up around the spring when it used to be part of a cattle ranch. Is it possible that Gemini might have reversed because of the high water levels that we have right now & sucked bacteria into the aquifer that is now being found at Blue? Just thinking out loud here.

Otter doody?

I dont know what might cause it, but i do get ear infections, possibly after diving there, i cant be sure, my memory isnt all that great :wink: Nowadays after last year's hurricane induced ear issues, i think it flushed a whole load of stuff into my ears when i was in the caverns/caves, i just wear a hood and hope!

simbrooks:
Otter doody?

But for some reason when I read that. I got this visual of about 30 otters diving down to the Cork Rock, pulling down their little otter pants, and with evil grins, doing their "doody". ROTFL

But then again, my mother did say I was the strange one....

My sources say that water tested at the boil is okay. It's the water from near the walkway enterance for diving, to the swim area that is contaminated. I heard this third hand so it is possibly false. I'll call the park on Monday and get the updated info.

i did two dives at Blue Spring on July 16, so i hope i'm not slowly dying
from otter and/or cow poop dieaseae or nothing

H2Andy:
i did two dives at Blue Spring on July 16, so i hope i'm not slowly dying
from otter and/or cow poop dieaseae or nothing

You're an attorney... that stuff can't hurt you, remember?

Just murdercycles..... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom