No service for Beuchat Aladin from UWATEC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 1st generation Aladin Pro (sold under Beuchat) has about 50 dives. The logbook doesn't come up during surface intervals and I wanted to have that fixed. UWATEC/Scubapro are apparently not honoring those computers with any warranty, just battery replacement. They want me to buy a new computer. I think that's BS. If I have to buy a new computer I'll buy ANYTHING but an UWATEC/Scubapro. Anybody else on the same boat?

Well, thanks for your insightful opinion. In the case of ALADIN, the Beuchat brand slapped on their sticker on the ALADIN computer but used the UWATEC technology. Then ALADIN was bought back by UWATEC, which was bought by Scubapro, which was bought by Johnson Outdoor Inc. So there's a bit of churning there. I haven't checked the warranty but I would not be surprised if if was lifetime. I guess it means nothing.
Anyway in any case, I've seen the newer version (sport) of the ALADIN and it has the same interface, more or less the same functions except for the new ones don't beep, and they can log 20 dives, they have the same algorithms and use the same tables (Bühlmann). So spare me the sarcasm. The least they (UWATEC) take a look at it and stand behind their product. They do not hesitate to replace their faulty 1995 Nitrox computer at no charge because 5 divers have gotten DCS using them and sued their a$$. I don't even mind paying for the service. What the hell am I supposed to do? Throw it away? What a waste. And so mindful of the environment too. At least you can do that with your Chevy, that should be no big loss.

Have you contacted Beauchat directly, since they branded it with their name on the one you bought? Sounds like an issue between you & Beauchat, not you and UWATEC to start with.

If I were buying a brand new dive computer today, I'd look hard at the offerings from TUSA. The TUSA branded computer that's identical to the Dive Rite NiTek Duo and sibling Apeks logo computer looks to be a great deal from Larry at Scubatoys.com with two gas mix capability, and their vibrating wrist computer could signal you even if you're beneath the town pier on Bonaire when the tugboats start their engines up, it would seem.

The computer has a lifetime warranty? That would surprise me. Most only give a year or two. I understand your frustration but at least yours has changed companies. Imagine the frustration when the Uwatec owners found out that 2 year old computers and batteries that couldn't be changed and was offered $50- 100 toward the purchase of a new one. I know a lot of people that got hot over that one.

Back
Top Bottom