No training on use of Weight Belts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I was just curious if the training on use of weight belts is no longer a requirement? My gf just finished her pool sessions, and has not yet physically gone over the use of a weight belt - just a mentioning in class that it should be right hand released. I was just curious if this is standard SSI training protocol or an optional item to cover at the instructor's discretion? I realize its now rare to see a rec bc thats not weight integrated, but would think divers should know how to setup/don/release a weight belt?

Thanks,

Bob

Don't post too much about this or I'm sure PADI will start to offer a 'Weight Belt Management' Speciality course with a separate C-Card!!! :)

im sure it was in the text... With a majority of people diving weight integ I would bet its down to a single line in the OWD book.

Did they have weight integ BCD's in the pool?

I think weight belt "operation" is clear. This should be part of the pre-dive buddy check and brief.

As some who used to duck swinging weight belts on tight boats I'm glad they are becoming uncommon.

It is more than just a single line in the text. Training standards have several required exercises that deal with the "weight system". They are targeted to a weight belt system. Even if my students show up the first day with an integrated Weight BC, they have to wear a weight belt and perform the required skills. They will also demonstrate those skills using the integrated weights. The first must learn the weight belt.

Your GF was done a huge disservice. That is a big presumption that in all her diving life she will never be wearing a weight belt. Speak to the shop owner and instructor. They have both taken on a risk here not applying the training standards appropriately.

Hmm...guess I'll go through her course book and see what it says about weight systems...hopefully wont find anything else was glossed over...

It is more than just a single line in the text. Training standards have several required exercises that deal with the "weight system". They are targeted to a weight belt system. Even if my students show up the first day with an integrated Weight BC, they have to wear a weight belt and perform the required skills. They will also demonstrate those skills using the integrated weights. The first must learn the weight belt.

Your GF was done a huge disservice. That is a big presumption that in all her diving life she will never be wearing a weight belt. Speak to the shop owner and instructor. They have both taken on a risk here not applying the training standards appropriately.

Hi,

I was just curious if the training on use of weight belts is no longer a requirement? My gf just finished her pool sessions, and has not yet physically gone over the use of a weight belt - just a mentioning in class that it should be right hand released. I was just curious if this is standard SSI training protocol or an optional item to cover at the instructor's discretion? I realize its now rare to see a rec bc thats not weight integrated, but would think divers should know how to setup/don/release a weight belt?

Thanks,

Bob

I don't have the manual handy, but beleive it mentions a "weight system" not specifically a weight belt.

Although weightbelts should be mentioned if for no other reason than so everybody knows of their existence and how to ditch them, it doesn't make much sense to practice weightbelt ditching for a student that will be diving W/I or with a harness.

flots.

Maybe not such a "huge" disservice.

The last weightbelt I ever wore was when I was certified. Now I wear a weight harness with my drysuit or a steel tank and 4lbs of W/I with my wetsuit.

Why make someone practice a skill they'll never use? You might as well spend time teaching student drivers how to use a manual choke.

flots.

I wouldn't call knowledge of using a weight belt a skill that'll never be used. There could be instances where (ie. me) forgot to bring my integrated weight pouches for my bc on a dive trip, and had to use a weight belt, or maybe to a destination where they only issue weight belts with rental bcs (on that same trip in key west), or maybe in a more dire instance they are diving with a buddy, and there is a situation where they need to ditch their buddy's weight belt.

Hopefully there isn't an incident where one needs to ditch their weights, but you train for it just in case. In some ways it would almost be like saying theres no reason to go over buddy breathing if you have an octopus....

I don't think it is an agency issue. It may have just been something the specific instructor may have "deemed" unimportant.

Given the other posts expressing their opinion on weight belts, the instructor may have simply be like minded.

I would not be too critical of the agency. The instructor may simply have different views than you regarding weight belts.

I personally use a weight belt and don't care for integrated.

Just show her how to properly handle the weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom