Weighting for tropical diving with SS BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazzathemammoth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I've got a trip to Maui coming up and I have been trying to figure out what the best weight setup will be while I am there. For single tank diving I normally dive a halcyon Stainless bp/w with STA and some heavy Asahi tanks with a Beuchat Med C zip 8/7 semi dry and 4th element tec shorts. This used to be a perfectly balanced rig for me, but now is slightly underweight with the extra weight I have put on recently, I'm 5'11 and ~200 pounds.

I've booked some of my dives there and the shops I have booked with all seem to hire AL80 cylinders. I plan on using my 3/2mm surfing wetsuit for exposure protection plus my tec shorts. I went to the local dive shop and jumped into their pool in my usual gear, but swapping those 2 items. With no weights I felt very slightly overweighted with 50 bar (700psi?) in the cylinder.

They guy at the shop reckoned i needed to add about 2kg to allow for being in saltwater, so I figured out where I could put those on the plates to stay in trim and played around in the pool for a while to make sure it was all good (see pic). The weights ended up in the middle of the wing, so I assume that my trim will be all good with both an empty and full cylinder?

I'll be buying some freediving weights (to suit rubber belt) while I'm there and I have been playing with ways to attach them to the plate that is easily swapped around. I think some bike bungees straps can do the job nicely. The cable ties were just a convient way to experiment.

Does this all sound about right to you? I don't want to waste in water time while I'm there trying to figure out my rig! Thanks

IMG_1683.JPG

Good plans. I usually consider keel weights. I built mine with scrap nylon tank cam-bands.

Bring and use cable ties. Bungee is not reliable enough for this.

You’re buying weights? Not to carry on the plane, right?

Now, about “wasting in water time”.

Better, you should waste your “in water” time than mine! Get to the dive operation early whether at charter boat or pier ask for weights and figure it out while you’re sitting at the dock. Don’t be testing and fiddling around while the boat is on station attempting to initiate a dive.

They’re only going to be prepared for the standardized stuffing 4# of extra lead in a buoyant diver’s pocket…and off we all go. Science experiments will result in a negative happy factor.

Most divers will be using BCs, likely rentals, with standard weight pockets.

Will need to add about 6 lb for salt from the ideal pool weighting. (The math is 2.4% of you + all gear.)

That said, I often dive with 2 lbs more than is perfect because 2 lb bricks are not available everywhere. So I use two 3-lb bricks, which is close enough.

If you don't want to hassle with things, just do the same. Boat operators in Maui provide lead. No need to buy unless you're doing shore dives (and don't want to rent).

I have two trim weight pockets on my upper cam band and another one on each side of the waist belt. Last week at Cocos Island I had 1# weights(brought with me) on the cam band and 3# on each side of the waist. This was with a full 3mm suit. I can get away with a little less in the Caribbean but we needed to get down quickly at some of the sites. I'm smaller than you, at 5' 6'", 150 lb. SS plate.

I'm probably going to replace the waist pockets with the Halcyon ACB system, in spite of the extra bulk. The trim pockets are just too floppy when gearing up in a rocking panga and I dumped one block in the process, which luckily I saw before it was gone over the side.

I reckon you’ll need between 10-12 pounds total weight, so taking 5 off for the backplate leads to 5-7 pounds, or for a Hawaii dive boat, two 3 pound blocks.

Good plans. I usually consider keel weights. I built mine with scrap nylon tank cam-bands.

Bring and use cable ties. Bungee is not reliable enough for this.
Now, about “wasting in water time”.

Better, you should waste your “in water” time than mine! Get to the dive operation early whether at charter boat or pier ask for weights and figure it out while you’re sitting at the dock. Don’t be testing and fiddling around while the boat is on station attempting to initiate a dive.

They’re only going to be prepared for the standardized stuffing 4# of extra lead in a buoyant diver’s pocket…and off we all go. Science experiments will result in a negative happy factor.
Good point re cable ties. I wanted to do that but my plate doesn't really suit. It will be easy enough to drill a few more holes in it though, so I think I will do that and use cable ties.

I also can't stand people mucking around on a dive boat. On my club trips I'm normally one of the first in the water. My thinking is that if I buy weights and do a basic shore dive the day before, then I'll be 100% sorted on the day.

My brain doesn't work in the morning. For me trying to get up even earlier and sort out my gear before heading out on the boat is just asking for issues. I also want some weights for free diving while I'm there. I've got some 3 pound weights, so I might try and sneak those in the kids luggage when they are not looking if they have some spare weight allowance.
I would just wear the weight on a weightbelt rather than fixed to the plate.
I'm quite foot heavy, so anything on a weight belt is not ideal for me. I did try that while at the pool, but I was struggling to hold a nice horizontal trim.

Cheers for the other replies too!

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom