NOAA confirms 4th global coral bleaching event

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
NOAA confirms 4th global coral bleaching event . This could probably be listed in 20 places on scubaboard , but clearly Cozumel was affected

The world is currently experiencing a global coral bleaching event, according to NOAA scientists. This is the fourth global event on record and the second in the last 10 years.

Bleaching-level heat stress, as remotely monitored and predicted by NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch (CRW), has been — and continues to be — extensive across the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Ocean basins. CRW's heat-stress monitoring is based on sea surface temperature data, spanning 1985 to the present, from a blend of NOAA and partner satellites.

Story continues:

[NOAA confirms 4th global coral bleaching event]

This really is bad bad news. This year the global average temps are already way up over even last year. I fear that if summer 2024 is like summer 2023 the Caribbean is not going to withstand it

I noticed sparsely populated reefs and quite a bit of bleached coral in Key Largo last September. Water was 88 degrees at most locations. We dove French, Elbow, Dry Rocks, Benwood, and Hannah M. Bell. The wrecks had more fish than the reefs. The dive operator told me that the higher water temps hit earlier than normal, so the elevated temps are lasting longer than usual. We didn't go to Molasses at all that week, which I have heard is still in good shape.

I noticed sparsely populated reefs and quite a bit of bleached coral in Key Largo last September. Water was 88 degrees at most locations. We dove French, Elbow, Dry Rocks, Benwood, and Hannah M. Bell. The wrecks had more fish than the reefs. The dive operator told me that the higher water temps hit earlier than normal, so the elevated temps are lasting longer than usual. We didn't go to Molasses at all that week, which I have heard is still in good shape.
While the Keys had both occasional super high water temps AND a long duration event, I think it was primarily the long duration that caught Cozumel. I think annual high water temp was probably only a degree or two above normal highs when using reliable sources , what really hurt was that the water got hot early and stayed that way. Instead of reefs enduring a couple of months of high water temps they endured almost 6 months .
This year is shaking up to be real mess for hurricanes and everything else. Very high ocean heat content and low wind shear forecasts from La Niña. After putting our very high hurricane season forecasts, forecasters basically said all of their forecast model inputs pointed the same way —if this wasn’t a big hurricane year they may as well throw in the towel. Maybe Saharan dust will kick up help mitigate things for us (though they certainly will not mitigate my allergies )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom