Nobody at Octopus Hole: Dec 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wontbslow

Reaction score
I was shocked to see nobody at Octopus Hole last Saturday. We were the ONLY car there from 9:30am to 3pm. Not that I didn't mind the prime parking. :wink: But it was freaking cold. We had to walk through snow to get to the water, and I was diving in a wetsuit! Brrrrrr!!! 48-degree surface temp, 34 degree air temp. Changing out of the wetsuit was NOT enjoyable.

Interestingly we saw a distinct "dark" line dividing the run-off water from the seawater. At first I thought there was something wacky on my mask, but after putting my head above and below the line, we figured it out. No octopusses or wolf eels. Most of the dens we saw were empty, except for some shrimp and tiny lobster taking residence. Vis was easily 50+ ft. at the bottom of the wall.

Saw tons of yellow rockfish, a few 4ft+ lincods, lots of goby's, and swam through a forest of baby jellyfish (so cute!). I'm getting spoiled with all this wonderful vis: I can really get used to all these 50+ ft vis dives. :D

Fun dives, despite the cold. The day was beautiful; sunny and peaceful.

-Dave

WOW.. I dove Sund a few weeks ago and we easily saw 7 different wolfies from huge old guys to pretty young juvies,,,I Love Sund and Octopus hole. Glad to see the recovery from the dry summer and low oxygen situation :)

wontbslow:
But it was freaking cold. We had to walk through snow to get to the water, and I was diving in a wetsuit! Brrrrrr!!! 48-degree surface temp, 34 degree air temp. Changing out of the wetsuit was NOT enjoyable.

Fun dives, despite the cold.

-Dave

Two word's.... maybe?

DRY SUIT

:snowbear: Brrrrr!

scharmack:
WOW.. I dove Sund a few weeks ago and we easily saw 7 different wolfies from huge old guys to pretty young juvies,,,I Love Sund and Octopus hole. Glad to see the recovery from the dry summer and low oxygen situation :)

I had the wrong date, I meant Dec 2nd.

But yeah, I was at Sund Rock on Nov 11th, and we saw easily 7+ wolf eels throughout the weekend. And the last one I saw had a HUGE head. Very neat.

The area seems to be recovering slowly.

waynne fowler:
Two word's.... maybe?

DRY SUIT

:snowbear: Brrrrr!

Trust me, a dry suit is DEFINITELY on my wish list. If I get this new job I'm applying for, I'll be buying a suit that day! haha.

Back
Top Bottom