Nocturnal Lights question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey:
I did do a search but I still can't decide.

I need to buy a light and although I had originally thought about getting the Light Cannon, I decided against after seeing some divers with their dangling lights hooked on their BC. I much prefer the cleaner style of the cannister light, I think.

I am seriously considering the Nocturnal lights because of the their design and cost. I bought my hubby a diverite can light for Christmas and I just can't afford another one right now.

I was thinking about the SL50 because it looks leaner than the traditional lights that UK and others make. I am also considering the TL 50. Here are my questions:

1) Does the SL50 have an attachment point at the end for a D-ring? Otherwise how is it secured?

2) How long does it take to recharge the TL50? I don't need it on every dive, but it would be nice to have for a 2 tank dive on the Spiegal Grove for example. Or for every other dive on a liveaboard.

3) Has anyone made a Goodman handle for this light? I don't like the lantern grip on the cannister version.

I am a recreational diver who likes to dive on wrecks but only non-tech penetration at this point.
Warm water with max visibility is the norm (Mostly Carribbean diving)
45 minute bottom time is norm but can do up to 60 minutes. Light not necessary though as I can switch to a back up for a day time light if needed.

Thanks!

Just got a chance to do the Spiegel Grove and a night dive with my new TL50. I got the PRO version for a longer burn time, and got the quick charger as an option.

Great! Made my Dive Buddy's 10W HID look like a flashlight! With the 35W head, its about equal with plenty of burn time.

With a BP/W, the cannister can mount on the right side of the BP with the supplied snaps rather than on the waist. You can do this because the switch is on the light head! Can is up, out of the way, and streamlined.

The quick charger takes 90 to 230 volts input, so no voltage issues in travels.

The canister with two batteries (in the PRO) is a bit heavy but a non-issue in the water.

You won't regret getting a nocturnal lights system, regardless of what the lurkers say!

Thanks for the comment Ted! Glad that you like the lights :) Let me know if there's anything else that I can assist you guys!

NLI Tim:
Thanks for the comment Ted! Glad that you like the lights :) Let me know if there's anything else that I can assist you guys!
Tim,

You asked for a couple of pictures of the SL50 PRO on my rig - they're attached. It stays up, out of the way, helps with trim. Having the switch on the light head is great too!

I used it in the Potomac River this weekend doing a science dive - visibility about 1 foot. My light with the 50 watt halogen 35degreee bulb blasted away the 10W HID my buddy had. (Those lights were the main way we get track of each other!

What aklso made my day was when I went looking for a narrower beam bulb, and found one (50w, 15 degree) at Home Deport for $7.00! Try that with an HID bulb!

Thanks Ted,

I'll link your pictures to the other thread where the members were asking for the photos. Againa I am absolutly delighted that you are having a blast with our products, I'll be around so let me know if there's anything else I can do for you :)

i have an SL50 as well and it rocks. gets plenty of interest from other divers out here too.....an awesome light at a damn good price. the customer service is top notch too. a lot of places could learn from Tim & the team about looking after customers....

Thanks for the great feedback guys, I appreciate it. We will continue to develop great products and offer superb customer service. If you guys need anything in the future please let me know, I'll be more than happy to assist you :)

Which battery lasts longer the 50 Pro or the 50 Extreme? How much are extra batteries for both?

We discontinued the Pro but we still have the Extrmes. The extra battery pack for the extreme is $400. If you were going to go on a longer dive I would recommend a SLX and a TL50 Extrem combo. You can use a SLX as a backup primary light and use the TL50 Extreme when you need the maximum light output.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom