NoFL divers, want to help others help the reefs & oceans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebes11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Join REEF in learning how to ID fish, and then spend some dive time collecting info. My nephew and I are going to the July 9th class at First Coast Scuba.

Divers and Snorkelers, learn to identify the fish you see on every dive. Help marine life conservation and have fun at the same time. The Jacksonville Reef Research Team (JRRT) and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) invite you to participate in the Great Annual Fish Count this July.

How:

Take a FREE Fish Identification Class at a participating store: (Class is open to everyone, even non-surveyors)

Atlantic Pro Divers ~ July 7, 6:30- 8:00 p.m.

First Coast Divers ~ July 9, 6:30-8:00 p.m.

Sea Hunt Scuba ~ July 13, 7:30 – 8:30 p.m. (Sea Fans Club)
Divers Supply ~ July 14, 6:00 -7:30 p.m.

Scuba Tiger ~ July 15, 6:30-8:00 p.m.

Scuba Extreme ~ July 28, 2009 6:30 p.m.

- Join REEF (membership is free) & count fish on any July dive.

- Enter your survey data into REEF’s online database

Everyone who completes the two-hour fish identification class will receive a free waterproof fish identification booklet and REEF’s easy-to-use survey instructions. Register to survey and turn in at least one completed survey to REEF and you will be eligible to enter a raffle for prizes.

Make Your Diving Count!

The Great Annual Fish Count, in its 18th year, is an international event sponsored by REEF and hosted this year in N.E. Florida by the Jacksonville Reef Research Team. Data from over 120,000 surveys taken by volunteer divers and snorkelers is maintained in a publicly accessible database on REEF’s website and is used by researchers, policy makers and resource agencies. For more information, visit: Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts

That's funny, I was just logging on to post about this...

There's also going to be a wrap-up party on August 1st from 1:00-5:00 pm at Little Talbot Island State Park. That's where the raffle prizes will be given away.

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately (on many levels) I have a memorial party (there has to be a better word than that, about 50 of us are getting together to celebrate her life instead of mourn her death) for a good friends Mom on that day.

Keep an ear out to find out if I won!

If you're going tomorrow night, look for me, I'll be wearing a cozumel ball cap and bringing along my short, blond wife and tall blond nephew. Wish I had blond hair, hell, wish I had hair at all.

The class was very cool. It was basically just an intro to fish ID, showing some of the most common fish seen around here, peacock flounder, graysbys, etc. Anna also did a wonderful job explaining what Reef does, and a guy from JRRT was there to talk about their work, and the Great American Fish Count.

Attendance was 44 people, couldn't believe how many showed up, it really was fun and worth the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom