Non Drift Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trekkindave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks,

Wife and I will be in Coz in July as part of a cruise. We would like to dive in Cozumel but the last time we were there we did a drift dive and my wife was not a huge fan of it. Are there any no drift options in Coz that you all would recommend? I would consider us novice, and we will be bringing out our equipment minus tanks

Hi Folks,

Wife and I will be in Coz in July as part of a cruise. We would like to dive in Cozumel but the last time we were there we did a drift dive and my wife was not a huge fan of it. Are there any no drift options in Coz that you all would recommend? I would consider us novice, and we will be bringing out our equipment minus tanks

Cozumel is drift diving. Most folks who go there do so to enjoy the ease of drift dives. There are sites that tend to have less current than other and on some days they have almost no current, but no guarantees. I guess you and your wife could rent a boat so as not to deny others what they went to Cozumel for, but that may double your costs. I suggest you see if your wife is willing to give drift diving another try (approach it like you are riding a tour bus).

because of the way the island and the Yucatan make a channel, there is almost always a current flowing through the area. Even shore dives are drift dives.

As stated, all dives in Cozumel are or can be drift dives. Certain ones come to mind that are almost always fast currents such as Santa Rosa Wall, Paso De Cedral and in the extreme Barracuda. On the other hand there are a few dives that seldom have significant current and a common one that stands out in my mind as the lowest of them all is Palancar Gardens. Dive it at 25 to 80 feet, its all great, and "normally" not much current.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

I love Cozumel and would never say anything bad about the diving but I am not a huge fan of drift diving...I like to move across the reef at my pace and look for things. When I drift dive I feel like a tourist and when the water is still I feel like an explorer. Having said that I would dive Cozumel any day of the week :)

Find a GOOD dive op to use and do Palancar Gardens followed by Columbia Shallows. 2 of the best dives, with little current.....other than that most of the sites will have current. Just tell her not to fight it, relax, use small hand and foot movements and enjoy the ride if it is moving fast. :)

Find a GOOD dive op to use and do Palancar Gardens followed by Columbia Shallows. 2 of the best dives, with little current.....other than that most of the sites will have current. Just tell her not to fight it, relax, use small hand and foot movements and enjoy the ride if it is moving fast. :)
It's going to be a challenge for the OP to arrange to go to specific sites unless he charters a boat for himself and his wife.

Well you could try with OPs to schedule some slow sites, but it is often luck of the draw on the current. Maybe you were in strong current and it will be better this time even at the same site.

At Aldora Divers we, as a rule that can be broken, take first day divers to Palancar Gardens for a first dive. That would also include cruise ship divers who by definition are first day.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom