Non-split suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG:
I am looking for suggestions in fins for my 13 y.o. daughter. She expressly does not want splits. She is a competitive swimmer and feels that the foot motions with splits are counter-productive to her breast stroke work. She will probably need a medium size, so availability of a particular size need not be an issue. Her diving is going to be limited to Carribean vacation diving. Any thoughts?

Make sure they fit her foot and she's comfortable in them.

I had a pair of Jets and sold them. While they had great control, my foot just didn't work right in the pocket, and I had ZERO power in them.

Now before someone says "you just needed to get used to them" I will point out that I now have a pair of IDI power fins, which are very close to Jets, and have no trouble with them at all. In fact, I really like the IDIs.

Get her a stiff blade fin that FITS.

Non-Split Fin Recommendations:

Paddle:
Aeris Velocity (full foot or strap versions available). Great, inexpensive fin. Blue, Yellow, Black

Paddle:
Mares Avanti Quattro (strap) - takes more leg strength, but should be good for a swimmer. - a fair number of color choices. (one of my main pairs of fins).

Pivot:
Mares Volo Power (strap)
Mares Race (full foot)
Mares Volo (previous version of Volo Power).

Ideally, your daughter could try the fins before the purchasing them or have the option to exchange them. Until I tried some fins, I couldn't tell that Mares fit me well and that the footpocket of ScubaPro fin is uncomfortable for me.

Of course, you could go with Force Fins, which would be an easy adaptation for her swimmer's kicking style -- she wouldn't need to relearn her kick like she would to make any of the above work. :)

The Force Fins also fit by width more so than length, so it's possible that she won't outgrow them at all!

They're also really easy to travel with (they're small) and can be used barefoot, with booties or with combat boots.

Skip the Jets & the Turtles and the other canoe paddles... go with the fin that's actually designed after the best fins out there -- those of fish!

fishwatcher:
Non-Split Fin Recommendations:

Paddle:
Aeris Velocity (full foot or strap versions available). Great, inexpensive fin. Blue, Yellow, Black

Paddle:
Mares Avanti Quattro (strap) - takes more leg strength, but should be good for a swimmer. - a fair number of color choices. (one of my main pairs of fins).

Pivot:
Mares Volo Power (strap)
Mares Race (full foot)
Mares Volo (previous version of Volo Power).

Ideally, your daughter could try the fins before the purchasing them or have the option to exchange them. Until I tried some fins, I couldn't tell that Mares fit me well and that the footpocket of ScubaPro fin is uncomfortable for me.
wow, a six month old thread came to life......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom