Non-swimmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grounded

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall that PADI offers a certification less than open water that allows the individual to dive only on tours with a divemaster.

Does anyone know if this certification requires a swim test?

The reason for my question: I am contemplating a cruise vacation with a non-swimmer. she stated that she would be willing to take a "resort course" dive. my recollection is that a "resort course" does not require strong (if any) swimming skills.

It seems like this level of certification essentially allowing the individual to participate in successive resort course style dives without having to attend the classroom orientation. I figure if she actually enjoys the diving, she may want to do it on successive days.

I would go so far as to say she is least in need of multiple classroom orientations. through osmosis, she has a good handle on the equipment, dive planning and decompression theory. She just never learned to swim when she was a kid

After discover scuba, there's open water certification. I dived once in Mexico without any training nor certification when I was 12.

It was a touristy thing.

I seem to recall that PADI offers a certification less than open water that allows the individual to dive only on tours with a divemaster.

The reason for my question: I am contemplating a cruise vacation with a non-swimmer. she stated that she would be willing to take a "resort course" dive. my recollection is that a "resort course" does not require strong (if any) swimming skills.

It seems like this level of certification essentially allowing the individual to participate in successive resort course style dives without having to attend the classroom orientation. I figure if she actually enjoys the diving, she may want to do it on successive days.

I would go so far as to say she is least in need of multiple classroom orientations. through osmosis, she has a good handle on the equipment, dive planning and decompression theory. She just never learned to swim when she was a kid

IMHO, it would be silly for a non-swimmer to take a "resort course." As a former Assistant Scuba Instructor (NAUI), we had many more scares with students that had minimal swimming skills than with those who were great swimmers.

If she can float for 10 minutes she can pass PADI OW, but I wouldn't recommend it. Honestly, if she isn't that great of a swimmer or can't swim, this probably isn't the best thing for her. Considering you're from Florida, there must be a public pool where you can take her and teach her how to swim for a bit before signing her up for scuba.

Anyone who can't swim is crazy to dive.

DwayneJ:
PADI OW has a swim component as well as the float for 10 minutes.

True, but it can be bypassed by snorkeling 300 yds, very easy even for a non-swimmer. Of course they are putting themselves in danger by diving without being able to swim, but some agencies (PADI is not alone) will allow them to get certified.

That'll be "scuba diver". Its effectively a serial try diver as opposed to a full qualification.

Depends where in the world. Europe its mandatory, other places it can be replaced by a snorkel test instead (which in my view is a very bad idea).

I believe that one should be a swimmer even with discovery scuba dives, unless it is just in a shallow hotel pool.

I've witnessed a group of discovery scuba manned by one divemaster, and a helper who appears less qualified than a beginning diver. The ratio of diver to instructor (if you even dare to count the incompetent assistant as an "instructor") greatly out numbered most if not all of the confined water and open water dive class I've assisted in.

Comfort in the water is a really good thing to have. By "really good" I mean potentially life saving.

I see you're a rescue diver and an attorney. Hire a pro that will train her patiently. Not that you won't, but if the foo foo hit the fan having a trained swimming/snorkeling/scuba instructor may help you both.

Since she doesn't swim or dive, she's relying on you for everything. You are her expert counsel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom