Noob In Tacoma, WA without a clue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthevv

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Morning/Afternoon everyone,

Short version brass tacks
  • Software Developer/Game Designer, loves the ocean.
  • Loved sharks since about.... 3 still do. And yes, I've done the point Defiance Shark tank dive. <3 the Sand Tiger
  • Live in an apartment, still trying to get a house for us (just the other half and I, no kids)
  • We love Kayaking, and just any way of getting out on the water. In Hawaii, where I went to school I did free diving avidly, both for photography and spearfishing (for invasives to cook! Looking at you, Peacock Grouper.), I am an avid conversationalist (but, you know, not annoying, hopefully), and I am an avid culinarian as well, some people think they don't like certain seafoods just because they were never prepared right!
  • Wanted to dive since forever. But $$$ and a family who barely had the patience to look at an aquarium for more than an instant constantly proved challenging.
So, now we finally live near the water out here in Federal Way, and I really just don't know much about the area, what is there to do, other than rent a kayak and look longingly at fish moving below me, and would just honestly like to learn. I see this is the go to spot, I've been reading some of the threads, peeking when I take a break at work, and finally decided to make an account to try and figure out what I need to be considering down the road to get into diving and all that is entailed. Thank you for reading, and a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

go see Tacoma scuba, you are lucky in that you have one of the best dive shops anywhere close by with great people that love what they do.

If you've been to the Tacoma Aquarium you can have a taste of the local dive critters. But, like the zoo, it's not the same as being there. We have some excellent local diving, a lot of it shore accessible. It's a LOT more challenging than tropical. You need more gear (more weight, more $$, more complexity) to deal with the cold and low(er) visibility.

IMO, the same instruction level that will 'get you by' in the tropics is inadequate around here, meaning Open Water 1 simply is not good enough unless you go for some pretty good/private instruction. The next level Advanced (isn't) and should be considered part of OW1.

What you need is a good instructor, and a good shop. In Federal Way your closest is UW Sports. They will have a bunch of instructors and I can find out who's decent if you need to. Tacoma Scuba is a good outfit if somewhat farther away.

There's a VERY active newbie (filmguy123) on the forum from Portland. He's asking dozens of questions. Not a bad group of threads to read for input. As might be expected the new guys ask the same questions repeatedly.

Thank you both, all good things to keep in mind. Sounds like Tacoma Scuba is a good place to check out. I understand with lower vis and overall more persnickety environment constraints I'll have to do some extra work and dollar, but at the same time, I love the area, the sound is amazing, and the wildlife in the area is incredible. I mean, Sevengill sharks, rare, fantastic predators unchanged since the devonian period, what's not to like? Obviously it'll take lots of skill and effort to eventually get things together to the point where I can see them, but after all, nothing worth doing is ever easy. I've spent my 20's getting dealt bad recession cards and now that I have the capacity to actually pursue my passion, it's time to get going!

howdy and welcome from south Florida....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom